- Rated: PG
- Run Time: 1 hours, 52 minutes
- Video: Color
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Released: November 7, 2006
- Originally Released: 1992
- Label: Image Entertainment
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Rolling Stone - 03/05/1992
"...Rich and provocative....A stinging comedy of manners..."
Sight and Sound - 07/01/1991
"...Fine acting...Finely detailed English interiors..."
Los Angeles Times - 03/11/1992
"...It's an intelligent, nuanced, sensitive, faithful adaptation. It has two remarkable performances, by Judy Davis and Helen Mirren..."
Entertainment Weekly - 11/17/2006
"ANGELS features superb performances by Mirren, Davis as the stuffy sister-in-law, and Rupert Graves as her forgiving brother." -- Grade: B
Adaptation of E.M. Forster's first novel, written in 1905, about a middle-aged English widow, Lilia Herriton, who shocks her very repressed, proper, and dull in-laws by marrying a young local she meets while vacationing in the Italian countryside. Tragedy strikes and her relatives plot to bring her young child to England for a "proper" upbringing.
Family Interaction |
- Co-produced by Where Angels Fear to Tread, Ltd., in association with Stagescreen Productions, Ltd. and Compact Television, Ltd.
- Shot on Eastman Film from Kodak on location in Rome, San Gimignano, Siena, Montepulciano and Cuna (in Tuscany) and Sussex and London, England. Prints by Technicolor.
- Rated BBFC PG by the British Board of Film Classification.
- Nick Elliott was the executive producer for LWT and Giovanna Romagnoli was the co-producer for Titanus Distribuzione.
- Additional cast: Sophie Kullmann (Irma); Vass Anderson (Mr. Abbott); Sylvia Barter (Mrs. Theobald); and Eileen Davies (Ethel).
- Additional credits: Walter Massi & Lil Sterling (production managers); John Dodds (assistant director); Jeremy Gee (camera operator); Roberto Brega (2nd unit camera); John Ireland (sound editor); and Chris Dibble (music recordist).
- Music performed by The National Hungarian Radio & TV Orchestra of Budapest.