Solomon Burke King Solomon / I Wish I Knew
|You Save:||$3.99 (27% Off)|
Out of Print: Future availability is unknown
sku: COL 7593
- Released: October 10, 2005
- Originally Released: 2004
- Label: Collectables Records
- Original Album #1: Atlantic 8158 (1968)
- Original Album #2: Atlantic 8185 (1968)
Description by OLDIES.com:
"...a smooth blend of soul crooning and passionate wailers that may represent Burke at his vocal peak." (Michael Gallucci, All Music Guide) These two classic albums from 1968 were Solomon Burke's final for the Atlantic label.
Entertainment Weekly - 2/5/99, p.71"...The two late-'60s albums that comprise this reissue capture Burke a couple of years past his hitmaking peak but nonetheless deliver a generous serving of the volcanic intensity that makes him one of R&B's seminal performers." - Rating: A-
- 1.It's Been A Change
- 2.Take Me (Just As I Am)
- 3.Time Is A Thief
- 4.Keep A Light In The Window
- 5.Baby, Come On Home
- 6.Detroit City
- 7.Someone Is Watching
- 8.Party People
- 9.When She Touches Me (Nothing Else Matters)
- 10.Woman, How Do You Make Me Love You Like I Do
- 11.It's Just A Matter Of Time
- 12.Presents For Christmas
- 13.I Wish I Knew (How It Would Feel To Be Free)
- 14.Get Out Of My Life Woman
- 15.Meet Me In Church
- 16.By The Time I Get To Phoenix
- 17.Then You Can Tell Me Goodbye
- 18.What'd I Say
- 19.Since I Met You Baby
- 20.Save It
- 21.Shame On Me
- 22.Why, Why, Why
2 LPs on 1 CD: KING SOLOMON (1967)/I WISH I KNEW (1968).
Personnel includes: Solomon Burke (vocals); Jimmy Johnson, Reggie Young, Joe South (guitar); Bobby Wood, Bobby Emmons (piano); Spooner Oldham (organ); Tommy Cogbill (bass); Roger Hawkins, Gene Christamon (drums).
Producers include: Bert Berns, Bob Gallo, Dann Penn, Lincoln Moman, Jerry Wexler.
Includes liner notes by David Nathan.
All tracks have been digitally remastered.
2 LPs on 1 CD: KING SOLOMON (1968)/I WISH I KNEW (1968).
Liner Note Authors: Jonny Meadow; Louise Williams.
This outstanding collection pairs KING SOLOMON and I WISH I KNEW, two of Solomon Burke's classic late-1960s Atlantic recordings. By the time of these sessions, Atlantic's distinctive, high-octane soul sound--with its clean production values, impeccable horn charts, and superb house musicians--was firmly in place. The famed Muscle Shoals rhythm section backs the "King of Rock & Soul" here on his interpretations of such fine fare as the Spooner/Oldham-penned "Take Me (Just As I Am)" and Roebuck Staples's "It's Been a Change."
Gritty, rich, and suffused with palpable emotion, Burke's singing is a revelation. Each of the 22 tracks showcase Burke's gospel training and flair for phrasing; he wrings feeling from every song, yet never succumbs to melodrama. What impresses equally is the range of the material. Burke's remarkable skill with country songs (Mel Tillis's "Detroit City," for example) fits easily alongside his traditional R&B, and he can shift from Jimmy Webb's "By the Time I Get to Phoenix" to a rave-up version of Ray Charles's "What'd I Say" without breaking stride. Country, gospel, rock, soul--it's all here, completely undiluted.
Archie Bell & The DrellsI Can't Stop Dancing / There's Gonna Be A Showdown (CD)
$9.33 LABOR DAY
Manfred MannManfred Mann Album / My Little Red Book of Winners (CD)
$4.98 on SALE
Manfred MannPretty Flamingo / The Five Faces of Manfred Mann (CD)
$5.08 LABOR DAY
Soul Comes Home - A Celebration of Stax Records and Memphis... (DVD)
$10.48 LABOR DAY
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 5 ratings.
Based on 5 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD Box Set) ~ $8.48 LABOR DAY
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Jimmy Buffett Down To Earth / High Cumberland Jubilee (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - The 60's, Part 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE