The City Of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra The Film Music of Danny Elfman
Out of Print: Future availability is unknown
- by John Williams ~ The Greatest Hits: 1969-1999 (2-CD) ~ $14.69
- by Danny Elfman ~ Music for a Darkened Theatre, Volume 2: Film & Television Music (2-CD) ~ $18.07
- Released: September 15, 2008
- Originally Released: 2008
- Label: Silva America
- 1.Pee Wee's Big Adventure, film score: Breakfast Machine
- 2.Beetlejuice, film score: Main Theme
- 3.Batman, film score: Theme / Flowers / Love Theme / The Joker's Poem / Up the Cathedral / Waltz to the Death / The Final
- 4.Edward Scissorhands, film score: Main Title / Ice Dance
- 5.Batman Returns, film score: End Titles
- 6.The Nightmare Before Christmas, film score: Christmas Eve Montage
- 7.Mars Attacks, film score: Introduction / Main Titles
- 8.Sleepy Hollow, film score: End Titles
- 9.Spiderman, film score: Main Theme
- 10.Corpse Bride, film score: The Piano Duet / Victor's Piano Solo
- 11.Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, film score: Finale
- 12.Sledge Hammer!, television series theme
- 13.The Simpsons, television theme
- 14.Desperate Housewives, television series theme
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Audio Mixer: Rick Clark .
Audio Remasterer: Gareth Williams.
Since he emerged as a Hollywood movie composer with Pee Wee's Big Adventure in 1985, surprising those who knew him only as the leader of the new wave group Oingo Boingo, Danny Elfman has worked extensively, at first with director Tim Burton, who also made his initial mark with Pee Wee's Big Adventure, and then with others as well. It's hard to say whether Elfman's characteristic musical style, a vibrant approach that often sounds slightly demented, is the product of his own tendencies or of the projects he happens to work on, including such cartoonishly macabre efforts as Beetlejuice, Edward Scissorhands, and The Nightmare Before Christmas, all films that also involved Burton as director or producer. Either way, Elfman has displayed, as this album's annotator Glen Aitken observes, the influences of Richard Wagner and Bernard Herrmann, that is, when he wasn't borrowing from klezmer and big-band jazz, and no matter what he was mixing together, a certain manic quality remained. Silva Screen Records specializes in re-recording and anthologizing film music, often using the City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra, which earns top credits here, although there are also tracks by London Music Works and the Daniel Caine Orchestra, the latter contributing the rock-oriented electric arrangement of the theme for the TV series Sledge Hammer! This is only a slice of the music the composer has written for the big and small screen over 20 years, but it is a representative sampling that gives a sense of his imaginative and off-kilter work. ~ William Ruhlmann
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 4 ratings.
Based on 4 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD)
$19.98 on SALE
WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD)
$2.98 on SALE