- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 36 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: October 23, 2001
- Originally Released: 1933
- Label: Image Entertainment
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Snap Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Dolby Digital Mono - English
- Additional Release Material:
- Audio Commentary: Frank Capra - Director
Performers, Cast and Crew:
USA Today - 10/12/1990
"...Frank Capra's best-picture Oscar nominee is arguably the best Damon Runyon on film..."
Story of a soft-hearted gangster who organizes his entire gang of thugs to help transform an elderly, rather seedy apple vendor into a perfect society lady. This treatment of a Damon Runyon story was, next to "It's a Wonderful Life," Capra's favorite among his own films. Academy Award Nominations: 4, including Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actress--May Robson and Best Adapted Screenplay.
Description by Image Entertainment:
A Cinderella fairy tale set in the early 1930s, "Lady for a Day" is a delightfully charming mix of drama and comedy that earned four Academy Award nominations and propelled Frank Capra to the top ranks of popular filmmakers. Based on a Damon Runyon short story, "Lady for a Day" tells the tale of Apple Annie, a cantankerous New York City fruit peddler who has been pretending to be a high-society matron in letters to her daughter. When her daughter comes to visit with her aristocratic fiance, Apple Annie enlists her seedy gangster friends, who hilariously transform her into the grandest of dames!
Annie, a frumpy apple vendor, is given a makeover by a shady criminal. This is for the benefit of Annie's daughter -- who believes that her mother is a member of the upper-class...
- "Pocketful of Miracles" is the 1961 remake of this film, also directed by Frank Capra.