Kaleidoscope Beacon From Mars And Other Psychedelic Side Trips
|You Save:||$3.99 (27% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Country Joe & The Fish ~ Electric Music For the Mind and Body ~ $9.56
- by Music Emporium ~ The Music Emporium ~ $13.48
- by Kaleidoscope ~ Pulsating Dreams: The Epic Recordings (3-CD) ~ $13.58
- by Quicksilver Messenger Service ~ Quicksilver Messenger Service ~ $7.56
- by The United States Of America ~ The United States of America ~ $15.28
- Tracks 1-10 originally released as "Side Trips" (Epic BN 26304) in 1967.
- Track 11 was originally released as B-side of Epic Single 5-10117 in 1967.
- Tracks 13, 14, 15, 17 & 18 originally released on "Beacon From Mars" (Epic BN 26333) in October, 1967.
- Tracks 19, 20 & 21 originally released on "Kaleidoscope" (Epic BN 26467) in 1969.
- Track 22 was originally released on "Bernice" (Epic BN 26508) in 1970.
- Tracks 12, 16 & 23 were unreleased until 1991 when they were released on Epic EK 47723.
- Released: June 7, 2004
- Originally Released: 2004
- Label: Collectables Records
Description by OLDIES.com:
"Kaleidoscope were arguably the most eclectic band of the psychedelic era." (Allmusic.com) Formed by multi-instrumentalists David Lindley and Chris Darrow, Kaleidoscope added fiddle, banjo and other "exotic" instruments to the traditional rock line-up. This reissue contains their complete (and long out-of-print) debut LP on Epic, and selections from their "Beacon From Mars," "Kaleidoscope" and "Bernice" LPs.
- 1.Egyptian Gardens
- 2.If The Night
- 3.Hesitation Blues
- 5.Keep Your Mind Open
- 6.Pulsating Dream
- 7.Oh Death
- 8.Come On In
- 9.Why Try
- 10.Minnie The Moocher
- 11.Elevator Man
- 12.Love Games
- 13.I Found Out
- 14.Baldheaded End Of A Broom
- 15.Life Will Pass You By
- 16.Egyptian Candy
- 17.You Don't Love Me
- 18.Beacon From Mars
- 19.Lie To Me
- 22.To Know Is Not To Be
Contains SIDE TRIPS (1967) plus selections from BEACON FROM MARS (1967) and
Kaleidescope includes: David Lindley (vocals, guitar, banjo, mandolin, violin); David Solomon Feldthouse (vocals, guitar, dobro, oud, bouzouki, vina, droumbeg, saz, bass); Chris Darrow (vocals, guitar, mandolin, bass);
Chester Crill (violin, harmonica, keyboards, bass); John Vidican (drums).
Personnel: Solomon Feldthouse (vocals, guitar, dobro, bouzouki, oud, saz); David Lindley (vocals, guitar, banjo, mandolin, violin); Chris Darrow (vocals, guitar, mandolin); Jeff Kaplan (vocals); Chester Crill (violin, harmonica, keyboards); John Vidican, Paul Lagos (drums).
Liner Note Author: Arnold Shaw.
Recording information: 04/12/1967-07/18/1969.
Parties seeking a more or less comprehensive assessment of Kaleidoscope's mid- to late-'60s Epic Records output are encouraged to locate 2004's Beacon from Mars & Other Psychedelic Side Trips compilation. As might be surmised by the name of this package, the bulk of the material originally came from the Side Trips (1967), A Beacon from Mars (1967), Incredible Kaleidoscope (1969), and Bernice (1970) long-players. Although each is represented, only the debut affair is offered in its entirety. Their initial inventive synthesis of straight-ahead rock, ragtime, and Eastern influences was a product of the times, as well as the undeniable and considerable talents of Solomon Feldthouse on saz, bouzouki, dobro, vina, oud, dumbek, dulcimer, fiddle, guitar, and vocals; David Lindley on guitar, banjo, fiddle, and mandolin; Chris Darrow on bass, guitar, mandolin, and vocals; Chester Crill on violin, viola, bass, keyboards, and harmonica; and John Vidican on percussion. The decidedly ethereal "Egyptian Gardens" and Darrow's noir-tinged "Keep Your Mind Open" contrast with Lindley's earthy retro readings of "Hesitation Blues," "Come On In," and Cab Calloway's "Minnie the Moocher." While there isn't really a bummer on the whole Side Trips platter, other standouts are the acidic "If the Night" and the pop harmonies of "Pulsating Dream." They followed with the even stronger collection, A Beacon from Mars, ranging in styles from the extended psychedelia of the title track and the folk-flavored "Life Will Pass You By" to the zany "Baldheaded End of a Broom." Deserving particular mention is their gritty reworking of Willie Cobbs' R&B classic "You Don't Love Me," rivaling Quicksilver Messenger Service's early live versions. Incredible Kaleidoscope provides the group-penned jam "Lie to Me," Lindley's inspired instrumental raga "Banjo," and a heavy adaptation of "Cuckoo," a traditional tune that was interpreted to great effect by Janis Joplin on Big Brother & the Holding Company (1967). Fittingly, the sole Bernice-era cut is also among the better ones in the form of the funky "To Know Is Not to Be." ~ Lindsay Planer
The Peanut Butter ConspiracyFor Children of All Ages - A Golden Classics Ed. (CD)
$9.98 on SALE
Nuggets II: Original Artyfacts From The British Empire &... (CD)(66)
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 3 ratings.
Based on 3 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 13,973
- UPC: 090431755426
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)(17)
Thank You Shirl-ee May [A Love Story] (DualDisc) (CD)(6)
$16.13 on SALE
Love & Affection: The Very Best of Joan Armatrading (CD)
$9.90 Super Savings
- 38 Special Extended Versions (Live) (CD) ~ $4.99 on SALE
- 45 RPM "Doo Wop & Acappella" Starlight Sessions (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- 49th Street 49th Street (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- The 5th Dimension Up Up and Away - The Encore Collection (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- Gregory Abbott Rhyme & Reason (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
Collectables Records Labels:
- ? and The Mysterians 96 Tears (New Stereo Recording) / Midnight Hour (New Stereo Recording) (45) ~ $3
- Faye Adams Herald Recordings (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- Jerri Adams It's Cool Inside / Play For Keeps (CD) ~ $9.73 on SALE
- Johnny Adams / Jeannie C. Riley Reconsider Me / Harper Valley PTA (45) ~ $3
- Johnny Adams Reconsider Me - A Golden Classics Edition (CD) ~ $9.98 on SALE