- Compilation Produced By: Dan Rivard
- Digital Audio Restoration: Ken Robertson
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 2003
- Label: Collectables Records
- Original Album: Columbia Records CS 8523 (1962)
Description by OLDIES.com:
On this album, originally released by Columbia in 1962, the Hi-Lo's are backed by the orchestra of Clare Fischer in their performances of "My Foolish Heart," "Second Time Around," "Besame Mucho" and "There's A Small Hotel." This reissue also contains fourteen bonus tracks, including three that were previously unreleased. These bonus tracks feature the orchestras of Frank Comstock (tracks #13-15), Ray Ellis (#16-17), Frank DeVol (#18-21) and Warren Barker (#22-26).
- 1.My Foolish Heart
- 2.More Than You Know
- 3.The Second Time Around
- 4.Besame Mucho
- 5.Only Forever
- 6.Let Me Love You
- 7.Catch A Falling Star
- 8.There's A Small Hotel
- 9.The Very Thought Of You
- 11.On The Alamo
- 13.Autumn Rain (Bonus Track)
- 14.The Ever-Changing Plains (Bonus Track, Previously Unreleased)
- 15.A Face In The Crowd (Bonus Track)
- 16.A Very Special Love (Bonus Track)
- 17.Pamela Throws A Party (Bonus Track)
- 18.When I Remember (Bonus Track)
- 19.Whistlin' Down The Lane (Bonus Track)
- 20.The Star Carol (Bonus Track)
- 21.Nobody's Heart (Bonus Track, Previously Unreleased)
- 22.A Lot Of Livin' To Do (Bonus Track)
- 23.Cindy's Prayer (Bonus Track)
- 24.Camelot (Bonus Track, Previously Unreleased)
- 25.The Trolley Song (Bonus Track)
- 26.Five Foot Two, Eyes Of Blue (Bonus Track)
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Recorded between 1957 & 1961.
Liner Note Author: The Hi-Lo's.
Recording information: 03/31/1957-08/10/1961.
The last solid Hi-Lo's LP before the quartet folded in 1964, This Time It's Love was a ballads-only album, and thus much less snappy and swinging than previous records like the Marty Paich extravaganza And All That Jazz or the Rosemary Clooney collaboration Ring Around Rosie. The gauzy harmonies of the Hi-Lo's were perfectly suited to slow-dance material, though, and the selections are perfect, arranged by Hi-Lo's associate Clare Fischer (who often played piano with the quartet). The performances are uniformly solid, great examples of close harmony abounding on "The Second Time Around," "My Foolish Heart," and "Catch a Falling Star." The liner notes make reference to one of "the unique characteristics of the Hi-Lo's [is], the fact that every word they sing can be understood." Hardly a ringing endorsement for music fans, but the Hi-Lo's were vocal masters with much more talent than artifice. Ironically, just as the Hi-Lo's were about to call it quits, a style of song they'd helped usher in was about to hit big on the pop charts (courtesy of the Sandpipers as well as myriad others), and not just with older audiences. ~ John Bush
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 5 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to
write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 11,813
- UPC: 090431755228
- Shipping Weight: 0.19/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item