Bob Wills Great Bob Wills / Remembering...The Greatest Hits of Bob Wills
|You Save:||$3.99 (27% Off)|
Out of Print: Future availability is unknown
sku: COL 7551
- by Bob Wills ~ The Complete Published Sides, Volume 1: 1935-1940 (4-CD) ~ $24.26
Products with a similar style:
- All vocals by Tommy Duncan, except where indicated.
- Digital Audio Restoration: Ken Robertson
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 2003
- Label: Collectables Records
- Original Album #1: Harmony HL 7345 (1965)
- Original Album #2: Columbia KC 34108 (1976)
Description by OLDIES.com:
Bob Wills almost singlehandedly popularized the genre of Western Swing, and was inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame in 1968 for his career achievements. "The Great Bob Wills" was released by Harmony Records in 1965, and features recordings made by Wills between 1938 and 1947, including "New Texas Playboy Rag" and "Fat Boy Rag." "Remembering..." is a collection of ten "greatest hits," released by Columbia a year after Wills' passing in 1975. It hit #46 on Billboard's Country Albums' chart.
- 1.You're There
- 2.New Texas Playboy Rag
- 4.Fat Boy Rag (Instrumental)
- 5.A Sweet Kind Of Love
- 6.Bob Wills Schottische (Instrumental)
- 7.Vocal by Harley HugginsI'm Feelin' Bad
- 8.Bob Wills Boogie (Instrumental)
- 9.Vocal By Tommy Duncan & The McKinney SistersStaccato Waltz
- 10.Bob Wills' Special (Instrumental)
- 11.Vocal by Bob WillsCorrine Corrina
- 12.Time Changes Everything
- 13.New San Antonio Rose
- 14.Twin Guitar Special (Instrumental)
- 15.Steel Guitar Rag (Instrumental)
- 17.Spanish Two Step (Instrumental)
- 18.Maiden's Prayer (Instrumental)
- 19.Mexical' Rose
- 20.The Waltz You Saved For Me
2 LPs on 1 CD: THE GREAT BOB WILLS (1965)/REMEMBERING... THE GREATEST HITS OF BOB WILLS (1976).
Recorded between 1935 & 1947.
Personnel: Bob Wills (vocals); Harley Huggins, Tommy Duncan (vocals).
Liner Note Author: Don Law.
Recording information: 09/23/1935-10/15/1947.
This two-fer from Collectables unites two Bob Wills records that were originally issued as compilations in the first place: The Great Bob Wills was issued in 1965 on the Harmony HL label and Remembering...The Greatest Hits of Bob Wills was issued three years after Wills' death in 1975 as a greatest-hits set by Columbia. What the two have in common are the earliest years and maturing years of the Texas Playboys' recordings; the Harmony HL collection dates almost exclusively from the 1940s, when the band was kicking between 1945-1947. The last cut is an instrumental by Wills called "Bob Wills Special" from 1940, and "Fat Boy Rag" dates from 1938. The Columbia album dates from Wills' first recording session in 1935 through a recording of Fred Rose's "Roly Poly" in 1945. The sound quality is more than acceptable, if not fantastic, and the performances on both albums included are nothing less than stellar. As is typical with Collectables' material, there are no musician credits, though certain tracks cite vocal credits. There is a neat little essay by Don Law -- the man who signed Wills to his first contract with Columbia -- in the booklet which details the 1935 session. For beginners, this is a pretty good place to start at a decent price; for collectors, there probably isn't anything here you haven't heard before. ~ Thom Jurek
The Best of 20th Century Masters / Millennium Collection (CD)
$5.39 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Brooks and Dunn - The Greatest Hits Video Collection (DVD)(16)
$12.29 Super Savings
The Very Best of England Dan & John Ford Coley (CD)
$12.49 Super Savings
Sings I Walk The Line / Sings Folsom Prison Blues (CD)(8)
$2.98 on SALE
Get Rhythm / Story Songs of Trains And Rivers (CD)(10)
$5.98 on SALE
Sings The Greatest Hits / Sings The Blue Train (CD)(2)
$4.98 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Best of Chicago Garage Bands - The Quill Records Story (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Motown, Soul & Great Rock 'N Roll: Rock 'N Roll (CD) ~ $4.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 3 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- The Herd Very Best of I Can Fly (Featuring Peter Frampton) (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE