- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 2003
- Label: Collectables Records
- Original Album #1: Columbia Records CS 9196 (1965)
- Original Album #2: Columbia Records CS 9723 (1963)
Description by OLDIES.com:
The two studio albums recorded by Don Shirley for the Columbia label in the mid-1960s are paired here on a single compact disc. "Water Boy" features Juri Taht on cello and Ken Fricker on bass. "Gospel" includes Gilberto Munguia on cello, Henry Gonzalez on bass, and Archie Bleyer arranging and conducting the backing orchestra.
- 1.Water Boy
- 2.Where's My Bess (From Porgy & Bess)
- 3.In A Moorish Marketplace
- 4.The Man I Love
- 5.This Nearly Was Mine (From "South Pacific")
- 6.Blue Skies
- 7.Adieu Madraz
- 8.By Myself
- 10.When Your Lover Has Gone
- 11.I'll Drown In My Tears
- 12.Climb Ev'ry Mountain (From "The Sound Of Music")
- 14.Jesus Keeps Me Near The Cross
- 15.Glory Burdens Down Lord
- 16.When The Saints Go Marching In
- 17.I've Been 'Buked
- 18.He's Got The Whole World In His Hands
- 19.I Wish I Knew How It Would Feel To Be Free
- 20.Blowin' In The Wind
- 21.Dream Of A Time
2 LPs on 1 CD: WATER BOY (1965)/THE GOSPEL ACCORDING TO DON SHIRLEY (1969).
Personnel: Don Shirley (piano); Archie Bleyer (arranger, conductor); Juri Taht, Gilberto Munguia (cello); Ken Fricker, Henry Gonzalez (bass).
Originally released on Columbia Records.
A Collectables two-fer of two mid-'60s Don Shirley albums originally released on Columbia. Water Boy is a trio date from 1965 with Juri Taht on cello and Kenneth Fricker on bass. The Gospel According to Shirley, from 1968, backs the piano/cello/bass format with an orchestra. Among the mostly contemplative readings of sacred standards like "Jesus Keep Me Near the Cross" and "Glory Burdens Down the Lord" is the singular secular oddity of Bob Dylan's "Blowin' in the Wind." ~ Wade Kergan