- Rated: PG
- Run Time: 1 hours, 32 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: July 3, 2001
- Originally Released: 1986
- Label: Image Entertainment
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Snap Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Dolby Digital Mono - English
- Additional Release Material:
- Isolated Audio Track: Music Score
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Variety - 05/07/1986
"...CACTUS is an unusual, fascinating, deceptively complex film, filled with odd little asides and off-beat peripheral characters..."
In the stark beauty of the Australian landscape, Colo (Isabelle Huppert), a woman suffering from an eye injury she received in a car accident, faces possible blindness which propels her into seclusion. Soon she meets Robert (Robert Menzies), an attractive blind man. A romance develops, bringing new meaning to their lives as they teach one another how to see.
Description by Image Entertainment:
A tragic accident--an emotional awakening--a life-changing decision--Colo, an attractive young woman vacationing in Australia, must face the depths of fear and loss when a bad car accident leaves her partially blind and threatens to blind her completely. Devastated and unable to cope, Colo retreats from the world and her friends until a chance meeting with a blind man who opens a new door in Colo's life as he teaches her the skills she will need to survive. As her feelings for him awaken, she begins listening to her heart and discovers a new way of "seeing."
- Color by Fujicolor.
- A Dofine production.
- Additional cast: Jean-Pierre Mignon (Jean-Francois), Erwin Rado, and Ann Rado.
- Additional credits: Ken Hammond (sound), Asher Bilu (production designer), Jeannine Seawell (executive producer), Milanka Comfort (production manager), and Virginia Rouse (assistant director).
- Shown at the 1986 Cannes Film Festival (Director's Fortnight).