Andy Williams B Sides And Rarities
|You Save:||$5.24 (35% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Andy Williams ~ Alone Again / Solitaire ~ $10.98 (Save 27%)
- by Andy Williams ~ Andy Williams Show / You've Got A Friend ~ $10.98 (Save 27%)
- by Andy Williams ~ Best of Country ~ $4.09
- by Andy Williams ~ The Complete Columbia Chart Singles Collection (2-CD) ~ $33.68
- by Andy Williams ~ Love Theme From "The Godfather" / The Way We Were ~ $10.98 (Save 27%)
- Compilation Produced By: Dan Rivard and Ken Robertson
- Associate Producer: Richard Erikson
- Compiled By: Richard Erikson
- Reissue Engineer: Ken Robertson
- Liner Notes: Richard Erikson (Research Assistance by Anthony Gigilotti)
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 2003
- Label: Collectables Records
Description by OLDIES.com:
"B Sides And Rarities" is the first genuine collection of historic Andy Williams' recordings on compact disc. Included here are songs that have never been released in any format, foreign singles that were never released in the United States, and flip-sides of singles that have been out-of-print since their original release on 45s.
- 1.Louisiana Purchase
- 3.Help Me
- 4.The Peking Theme (So Little Time)
- 6.Here's To My Lady
- 7.I'll See You In My Dreams
- 8.Loved One
- 9.The Many Faces Of Love
- 10.Ave Maria
- 11.The Sound Of Music
- 12.What Am I Living For
- 14.Whistling Away The Dark
- 15.Free To Go
- 16.Someone Who Cares (Theme From The Motion Picture "Fools")
- 17.The Last Time I Saw Her
- 18.Long Long Time
- 19.If You Could Read My Mind
- 20.He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother
- 21.Help Me Make It Through The Night
- 22.Home For Thee
- 23.You Chose A Fine Time
- 24.Who Was It?
- 25.I'll Never Be The Same
Contains tracks originally recorded for Columbia Records.
Liner Note Author: Richard Erikson.
Directors: Richard Jones ; Paul Salamunovich .
Arrangers: Al Capps; Robert Mersey.
When a record buyer filters through an artist's catalog, it is likely that any disc with the words "B-sides" and/or "rarities" printed on it will automatically be dismissed as a record company's attempt to make money on stale, leftover songs. However, there are instances in which a surplus collection, like Andy Williams' B-Sides and Rarities, can stand on its own merit and reveal some terrific songs or performances that simply got lost in the shuffle. Most of the songs dusted off for this disc are from Williams' peak years at Columbia Records, where for a decade he cranked out an amazing 14 Top Ten albums on the Billboard chart. The two exceptions open the disc as Andy and his brothers back Kay Thompson on the late-'40s big band hits "Louisiana Purchase" and "Jubilee." While these songs are fun and reflective of Thompson's innovative nightclub act with the Williams Brothers, they seem out of place when immediately followed by Andy's suave solo voice on 1962's bouncing waltz "Help Me." Being nominated for an Academy Award was not enough to get A-side consideration for the gorgeous "The Peking Theme (So Little Time)" from the film 55 Days at Peking. The simplicity of Dimitri Tiomkin's melody along with Williams' tender vocals makes this song a worthy companion to any of Andy's movie-theme hits. As with similar collections, there are bumps in the road, and a large pothole is felt in "The Many Faces of Love," where Andy's forced phrasing collapses under the weight of this Righteous Brothers knockoff. Also, the lounge-ish arrangement and reading of "Long Long Time," a song most associated with Linda Ronstadt, could have stayed in the vault. The most revealing find is the finale, "I'll Never Be the Same," a Jimmy Webb-style song recorded but never used for Williams' unjustly overlooked work, 1973's Solitaire. The bittersweet song demonstrates that he was still a viable artist in the burgeoning era of the singer/songwriter, but the album (a hit in England) failed to catch on and signaled his inevitable decline in popularity. More than a treasure for fans, B-Sides and Rarities documents the unheard side of Williams' career and adds to the recorded legacy of one of America's greatest pop vocalists. ~ Aaron Latham
Andy WilliamsDanny Boy / The Wonderful World of Andy Williams (CD)
$10.98 on SALE
Andy WilliamsLonely Street / The Village of Saint Bernadette (CD)
$10.98 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 11 ratings.
Based on 11 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 20,443
- UPC: 090431752920
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
The Best of 20th Century Masters / Millennium Collection (CD)
$8.34 Super Savings
- 38 Special Extended Versions (Live) (CD) ~ $4.99 on SALE
- 45 RPM "Doo Wop & Acappella" Starlight Sessions (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- 49th Street 49th Street (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- The 5th Dimension Up Up and Away - The Encore Collection (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- Gregory Abbott Rhyme & Reason (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
Collectables Records Labels:
- ? and The Mysterians 96 Tears (New Stereo Recording) / Midnight Hour (New Stereo Recording) (45) ~ $3
- 1910 Fruitgum Co. / Kasenetz-Katz Super Circus Indian Giver / Quick Joey Small (45) ~ $1 on SALE
- Faye Adams Herald Recordings (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- Johnny Adams / Jeannie C. Riley Reconsider Me / Harper Valley PTA (45) ~ $3
- Johnny Adams Reconsider Me - A Golden Classics Edition (CD) ~ $9.98 on SALE