Eddie Condon Midnight In Moscow / The Roaring Twenties
|You Save:||$3.99 (27% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 2003
- Label: Collectables Records
- Original Album #1: Epic Records LA 16024 (1962)
- Original Album #2: Columbia Records CL 1089 (1958)
Description by OLDIES.com:
Eddie Condon's goal with "Midnight In Moscow" was to record Dixieland-flavored versions of such "international" pieces as "Meadowlands," "Loch Lomond," "La Vie En Rose" and "The Sheik Of Araby" with a crew including Bobby Hackett on trumpet, Peanuts Hucko on clarinet, Lou McGarity on trombone, Dick Cary on piano, Jack Lesberg on bass and Buzzy Lutin on drums. "The Roaring Twenties" was longtime Condon drummer George Wettling's idea - the goal being to "celebrate the musicians who were...the principal influences on jazz in the twenties." On it, he and Condon are joined by the likes of Wild Bill Dickenson, Billy Butterfield, Cutty Cutshall, Bob Wilbur, Gene Schroeder and Leonard Gaskin.
- 2.Dark Eyes
- 3.Theme From Swan Lake
- 5.The Japanese Sandman
- 6.Loch Lomond
- 7.Londonderry Air
- 8.La Vie En Rose
- 9.The Sheik of Araby
- 10.Midnight in Moscow
- 11.Wolverine Blues
- 12.Chimes Blues
- 13.Put 'Em Down Blues
- 14.Davenport Blues
- 15.What - Cha - Call - 'Em Blues
- 16.Minor Drag
- 17.China Boy
- 18.My Monday Date
- 19.Apex Blues
- 20.Heebie Jeebies
- 21.St. James Infirmary
- 22.That's a Plenty
2 LPs on 1 CD: MIDNIGHT IN MOSCOW (1962)/THE ROARING TWENTIES (1957).
Personnel: Eddie Condon (guitar); Billy Butterfield, Bobby Hackett (trumpet); Wild Bill Davison (cornet); Vic Dickenson, Cutty Cutshall, Lou McGarity (trombone); Bob Wilbur, Peanuts Hucko (clarinet); Dick Cary (alto horn, piano); Gene Schroeder (piano); Leonard Gaskin, Jack Lesberg (bass); George Wettling, Buzzy Drootin (drums).
Personnel: Eddie Condon (guitar); Peanuts Hucko, Bob Wilber (clarinet); Billy Butterfield, Bobby Hackett (trumpet); Wild Bill Davison (cornet); Lou McGarity, Vic Dickenson, Cutty Cutshall (trombone); Dick Cary (alto horn, piano); Gene Schroeder (piano); Buzzy Drootin, George Wettling (drums).
Liner Note Authors: Eddie Condon; George Avakian.
A pair of dates from Eddie Condon & His All-Stars make up this Collectables two-fer. Both are quasi-concept albums, the first (1962's Midnight in Moscow) a swing-around-the-world session prompted by Kenny Ball's surprise hit with the title song one year earlier. The lineup includes trumpeter Bobby Hackett, pianist Dick Cary, Peanuts Hucko on clarinet, and Lou McGarity on trombone; Hucko, especially, does some great work during the opener, "Meadowland," and a stately version of "Londonderry Air." The second LP included on the program, 1957's The Roaring Twenties, salutes a host of jazz luminaries of the pre-swing era, from Lee Wiley and Turk Murphy to Duke Ellington and Louis Armstrong. Condon -- appearing with cornetist Wild Bill Davison, drummer George Wettling, clarinetist Bob Wilber, bassist Leonard Gaskin, and trombone player Vic Dickenson -- illustrates perfectly how much fun jazz was before it took itself seriously, jamming on "Minor Drag," "That's a Plenty," and ten other tunes. ~ John Bush
Bobby HackettHello Louis! / Plays Tony Bennett's Greatest Hits (CD)
$10.98 on SALE
Wilbur de Paris / Yank Lawson & Bob HaggartOver & Over Again / Live At The Roosevelt Grill (2-CD)
$12.98 on SALE
Wilbur de ParisPlays Something Old New Gay Blue / That's A Plenty (CD)
$7.49 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 2 ratings.
Based on 2 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 39,458
- UPC: 090431752722
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
White As Snow: Songs from the Heart of the Church (CD)
$4.98 on SALE
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)
- 38 Special Extended Versions (Live) (CD) ~ $4.99 on SALE
- 45 RPM "Doo Wop & Acappella" Starlight Sessions (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- 49th Street 49th Street (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- The 5th Dimension Up Up and Away - The Encore Collection (CD) ~ $3.98 on SALE
- Gregory Abbott Rhyme & Reason (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
Collectables Records Labels:
- ? and The Mysterians 96 Tears (New Stereo Recording) / Midnight Hour (New Stereo Recording) (45) ~ $4
- Faye Adams Herald Recordings (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- Jerri Adams It's Cool Inside / Play For Keeps (CD) ~ $9.73 on SALE
- Johnny Adams / Jeannie C. Riley Reconsider Me / Harper Valley PTA (45) ~ $4
- Johnny Adams Reconsider Me - A Golden Classics Edition (CD) ~ $9.98 on SALE