Eddie Condon Bixieland / Treasury of Jazz
|You Save:||$7.48 (50% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 2003
- Label: Collectables Records
- Original Album #1: Columbia Records CL 719 (1955)
- Original Album #2: Columbia Records CL 881 (1956)
Description by OLDIES.com:
Originally released in 1955, "Bixieland" is Eddie Condon's tribute to the legendary Bix Beiderbecke and includes Wild Bill Davison or Bobby Hackett on cornet, trombonist Cutty Cutshall, Dick Cary on alto horn and clarinetist Edmond Hall. "Treasury Of Jazz" was released in 1956 as an album to complement his book of the same title, and includes trumpeters Wild Bill Davison, Billy Butterfield, trombonist Cutty Cutshall, clarinetists Pee Wee Russell and Peanuts Hucko, pianists Gene Schroeder and Ralph Sutton, bassist Walter Page and drummer George Wettling.
- 1.At The Jazz Band Ball
- 2.Ol' Man River (From "Showboat")
- 3.I'll Be A Friend With Pleasure
- 4.Singin' The Blues
- 5.Fidgety Feet
- 6.From Monday On
- 7.I'm Comin' Virginia
- 8.Royal Garden Blues
- 10.Jazz Me Blues
- 11.I'm Gonna Sit Right Down And Write Myself A Letter
- 12.I've Got A Crush On You
- 13.Duff Campbell's Revenge
- 14.Don't Get Around Much Anymore
- 15.Someday You'll Be Sorry
- 16.I'm Confessin' (That I Love You)
- 17.Three-Two-One Blues
- 18.Since My Best Gal Turned Me Down
- 19.Just Friends
- 20.Sometimes I'm Happy
- 21.I've Found A New Baby
2 LPs on 1 CD: BIXIELAND (1955)/TREASURY OF JAZZ (1956).
Personnel: Eddie Condon (guitar); Peanuts Hucko (tenor saxophone, clarinet); Billy Butterfield (trumpet); Wild Bill Davison (cornet); Cutty Cutshall (trombone); Pee Wee Russell (clarinet); Gene Schroeder, Ralph Sutton (piano); Walter Page (bass); George Wettling (drums).
Includes liner notes by Eddie Condon.
Personnel: Eddie Condon (guitar); Peanuts Hucko (clarinet, tenor saxophone); Pee Wee Russell (clarinet); Billy Butterfield (trumpet); Wild Bill Davison (cornet); Cutty Cutshall (trombone); Ralph Sutton , Gene Schroeder (piano); George Wettling (drums).
Liner Note Author: Eddie Condon.
Few jazzmen active during the mid-'50s were more worthy of recording tributes to the era of classic jazz, just three decades distant, than Eddie Condon. Fitting, then, that two of his most interesting throwback dates, Bixieland and Eddie Condon's Treasury of Jazz, were combined for this Collectables two-fer. The first includes ten of Bix Beiderbecke's most popular features from the man who coined the most famous description of his style ("The sound came out like a girl saying yes"). Bobby Hackett takes onto his shoulders the heavy weight of living up to the legend's cornet, a fitting assignment for the man briefly known as "the new Bix" only a few years after Beiderbecke's death in 1931. Though a Dixieland date hardly need worry about artistic tension, Hackett performs admirably on versions of Beiderbecke's best ("I'm Comin' Virginia," "Singin' the Blues," "Jazz Me Blues"), echoing the melodic clarity and quick decisions of Beiderbecke, framed by Condon and the all-stars. The second date was a tribute as well, the musical version of a book just published, featuring Condon's salutes to some of his favorite jazz artists, including rarer choices like Lee Wiley and Turk Murphy as well as obvious ones like Duke Ellington and Louis Armstrong. The lineup features these songs well, combining Condon's guitar with Wild Bill Davison on cornet, Pee Wee Russell or Edmond Hall on clarinet, Walter Page on bass, George Wettling on drums, and Cutty Cutshall on trombone. All in all, this reissue combines a pair of sessions playful, brash, and unassuming, welcome to fans of Dixieland jazz. ~ John Bush
Bobby HackettHello Louis! / Plays Tony Bennett's Greatest Hits (CD)
$10.98 on SALE
Wilbur de Paris / Yank Lawson & Bob HaggartOver & Over Again / Live At The Roosevelt Grill (2-CD)
$12.98 on SALE
Wilbur de ParisPlays Something Old New Gay Blue / That's A Plenty (CD)
$7.49 on SALE
Wilbur de ParisThe Uproarious Twenties In Dixieland / Wilbur de Paris And... (CD)
$2.98 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 3 ratings.
Based on 3 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 34,858
- UPC: 090431752524
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)
- 38 Special Extended Versions (Live) (CD) ~ $4.99 on SALE
- 45 RPM "Doo Wop & Acappella" Starlight Sessions (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- 49th Street 49th Street (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- The 5th Dimension Up Up and Away - The Encore Collection (CD) ~ $3.98 on SALE
- Gregory Abbott Rhyme & Reason (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
Collectables Records Labels:
- ? and The Mysterians 96 Tears (New Stereo Recording) / Midnight Hour (New Stereo Recording) (45) ~ $4
- Faye Adams Herald Recordings (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- Jerri Adams It's Cool Inside / Play For Keeps (CD) ~ $9.73 on SALE
- Johnny Adams / Jeannie C. Riley Reconsider Me / Harper Valley PTA (45) ~ $4
- Johnny Adams Reconsider Me - A Golden Classics Edition (CD) ~ $9.98 on SALE