- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 48 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: October 23, 2007
- Originally Released: 1992
- Label: Image Entertainment
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 1.78
- Dolby Digital 1.0 - Cantonese
- Subtitles - English - Optional
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Sight and Sound - 05/01/1994
"...Luminous....Law evokes a sense of epiphany, with a positive power attached to the honouring of certain traditions..."
New York Times - 08/26/1994
Two young friends search for fun, love, sex, and good food in the cosmopolitan city of Hong Kong.
Description by Image Entertainment:
A young, video-camera-wielding Japanese tourist traveling alone in Hong Kong pursues a tentative relationship with a Chinese teenager, soon to join her family in Canada. Wai invites the young man to join her for a spectacular home cooked meal made by her 80 year old grandmother. As their platonic friendship develops, the subtle relationships between generations, upheavals in traditional Hong Kong society and the clash between Asian cultural identities are explored with considerable warmth, charm and humor.
Tokio, a young Japanese man, travels to Hong Kong and meets Wai, a fifteen-year-old girl living with her ill grandmother. Wai's parents and older brother are immigrating to Canada, and plan to have her join them. Since Tokio is without a place to stay and a decent meal, Wai takes him home. Soon, the two begin a friendship that grows stronger as the time draws closer for Wai to leave the country.
Hong Kong |
- Produced by Trix Films.
- Winner, Golden Leopard (top prize) at Locarno Film Festival.