Jimmy Dorsey Dixie By Dorsey / Dorseyland Dance Parade
|You Save:||$3.99 (27% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Track 9: Vocal by Claire "Shanty" Hogan and Charlie Teagarden
- Tracks 10, 11, 13, 15 and 17: Vocal by Claire "Shanty" Hogan
- Track 12: Vocal by Kenny Martin
- Track 18: Vocal by Charlie Teagarden
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 2002
- Label: Collectables Records
- Original Album #1: Columbia Records CL 6095 (1949)
- Original Album #2: Columbia Records CL 6114 (1950)
Description by OLDIES.com:
"Dixie By Dorsey" features twelve Dixieland favorites, vigorously and brilliantly played by Jimmy Dorsey and an aggregation known as the Original "Dorseyland" Jazz Band (which included trumpeter Charlie Teagarden, trombonist Cutty Cutshall and tenor saxophonist Frank Maynes). Also using Dixieland "ideas" as a basis, the second album on this pairing is his band's contribution to Columbia's Dance Parade series. Includes two bonus tracks.
- 1.Jazz Me Blues
- 3.Tin Roof Blues
- 4.High Society
- 5.Struttin' With Some Barbecue
- 6.Chimes Blues
- 7.Muskrat Ramble
- 8.South Rampart Street Parade
- 9.Charley, My Boy
- 10.Rag Mop
- 11.Johnson Rag
- 12.When You Wore A Tulip (And I Wore A Big Red Rose)
- 13.Clap Hands (Here Comes Charley)
- 14.That's A Plenty
- 15.Let A Smile Be Your Umbrella (On A Rainy Day)
- 16.When You're Smiling (The Whole World Smiles With You)
- 17.It's A Long, Long Way To Tipperary (Bonus Track)
- 18.Levee Blues (Bonus Track)
2 LPs on 1 CD: DIXIE BY DORSEY (1949)/DORSEY LAND BAND (1950).
Originally released on Columbia Records.
Personnel: Kenny Martin, Charlie Teagarden (vocals).
Recording information: 11/11/1949-03/07/1950.
By late 1949, with the swing era on the wane and bandleaders struggling to make payrolls for their big bands, Jimmy Dorsey won a new contract with Columbia Records and carved a subset out of his orchestra to play old-time Dixieland music. Dorsey on clarinet and alto saxophone was joined by Charlie Teagarden on trumpet and vocals, Cutty Cutshall on trombone, Frank Maynes on tenor saxophone, Dick Carey on piano, Carl Kress on guitar, Bill Lolatte on bass, and Ray Bauduc on drums, with Claire Hogan doing vocals on some songs. Dorsey called the unit Jimmy Dorsey & His Original "Dorseyland" Jazz Band, and the idea was to re-create the kind of sound he used to play back in the 1920s with the California Ramblers. Surprisingly, a version of the 1917 song "Johnson Rag" made the charts, as did the 10" album Dixie by Dorsey, which was followed by another, "Dorseyland" Dance Parade. The Dixieland fad passed, and Dorsey went back to struggling, eventually disbanding and joining his brother Tommy Dorsey's band in 1953. But the November 1949 and January and March 1950 sessions that produced the two brief albums and stray singles are gathered together here on a discount-priced CD, and they make for some lively listening. (On the two tunes from March, "It's a Long Way to Tipperary" and "Let a Smile Be Your Umbrella," Bud Hackman replaces Cutshall and Al Waslon replaces Carey.) Dorsey and his musicians were past masters at playing Dixieland, and they brought real enthusiasm to the musical cacophony that is that style, with Charlie Teagarden trading vocals good-naturedly with Hogan here and there and hot solos being passed around. A cover of "Rag Mop" is the only reminder of the 1950s in a set that fondly recalls the music of 30 years earlier. ~ William Ruhlmann
Benny GoodmanArrangements By Eddie Sauter / Arrangements By Fletcher... (CD)
$10.98 on SALE
Les BrownThe Best of The Rare Les Brown (From The Okeh Vaults) (CD)
$7.49 on SALE
Les BrownLerner & Loewe Bandbook / Richard Rodgers Bandbook (CD)
$10.98 on SALE
Tony PastorRare Tony Pastor & His Orchestra (From The Columbia Vaults) (CD)
$7.49 on SALE
Warner Bros. Big Band, Jazz & Swing Short Subject... (DVD-R)(4)
$31.97 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 6 ratings.
Based on 6 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 41,478
- UPC: 090431751923
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)(17)
- 38 Special Extended Versions (Live) (CD) ~ $4.99 on SALE
- 45 RPM "Doo Wop & Acappella" Starlight Sessions (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- 49th Street 49th Street (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- The 5th Dimension Up Up and Away - The Encore Collection (CD) ~ $3.98 on SALE
- Gregory Abbott Rhyme & Reason (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
Collectables Records Labels:
- ? and The Mysterians 96 Tears (New Stereo Recording) / Midnight Hour (New Stereo Recording) (45) ~ $4
- Faye Adams Herald Recordings (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- Jerri Adams It's Cool Inside / Play For Keeps (CD) ~ $9.73 on SALE
- Johnny Adams / Jeannie C. Riley Reconsider Me / Harper Valley PTA (45) ~ $4
- Johnny Adams Reconsider Me - A Golden Classics Edition (CD) ~ $9.98 on SALE