- Rated: R
- Run Time: 1 hours, 34 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: March 26, 2002
- Originally Released: 1996
- Label: Lions Gate
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Mark Boone, Jr.,
Samuel L. Jackson,
Elizabeth Bracco &
Rolling Stone - 11/14/1996
"...Buscemi crafts a tantalizing character study that swings from hilarious to harrowing without losing its agile footing..."
Entertainment Weekly - 10/11/1996
"...[Buscemi] creates the finest role of his career....So deft, funny, and light-handed it may not be until the film's shattering final image that you realize you've been wathcing one of the most lived-in portraits of an alcoholic ever made..." -- Rating: A
Variety - 05/20/1996
"...Buscemi poignantly conveys the dead-end nature of the lives on display without condescension....Buscemi has come out on top..."
Los Angeles Times -
"...The film is laced with the kinds of performances and scenes that marked the early work of John Cassavetes....Buscemi also got from himself a terrific performance..."
Chicago Sun-Times - 10/25/1996
"...Buscemi is the house act of American independent films....He is above all able to project the quality of bone-weariness..."
Look up the word "Loser" in the dictionary, and you'll probably find a photo of 31-year-old Tommy there. This underachieving, alcoholic, irresponsible auto mechanic has just been fired for stealing from his boss. So he now spends his time as a near-permanent barfly at the eccentric Trees Lounge. However, when he's not at the bar, Tommy is engaged in immature activities that wreak havoc in his life -- and those of others.
But when the repercussions of Tommy's acts begin to occur, will he be stable enough to cope with them' Or will they just further his downward spiral'
Character Study |
Substance Abuse |
- Released theatrically in the USA on October 11, 1996.
- Shown as part of the Directors Fortnight of the 1996 Cannes Film Festival.
- Actor Steve Buscemi's debut as a feature film director.
- An Addis-Wechsler and Muse/Wyman production in association with Seneca Falls Productions.
- Color by DuArt.
- Additional cast: Michael Buscemi (Raymond), Bronson Dudley (Bill), Annette Arnold, Steve Randazzo, Michael Storms, Bianca Bajika, Charles Newmark, Carina Finn, Richard Boes, Lo Tillet Wright, Daniella Rich
- Additional credits: Jenifer Alex (art direction), Lisa Kent (set decoration), Coll Anderson (sound)
- Copyright 1996 LIVE film and Mediaworks Inc.