- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 2002
- Label: Collectables Records
- Original Album #1: Reprise 6050 (1962)
- Original Album #2: Reprise 6060 (1962)
Description by OLDIES.com:
Two albums originally released on the Reprise label in 1962 are included on this two-fer. "Bossa Nova" is a jazz exploration of the Brazilian-born Bossa Nova samba, a capitivating and syncopated rhythmic structure. "Jazz Waltz" presents Rogers as arranger, soloist and composer in an unusual and challenging setting - the exploration of the relationship between jazz and three-quarter time, in both big band and small band settings.
- 1.Samba Do Lorinho (Lorinho's Samba)
- 2.Chega De Saudade (No More Sadness)
- 3.Samba Triste (Melancholy Samba)
- 4.Samba De Uma Nota So (One Note Samba)
- 5.Pao De Assucar (Sugar Loaf)
- 6.Samba Do Empashgi (Empashgi's Samba)
- 7.O Amore E A Rosa (Love Is A Rose)
- 8.So Voce (Only You)
- 9.Chora Tua Tristeza (Cry Your Sadness)
- 10.So Um Amor (Only One Love)
- 11.O Menino Desce O Morro (Little Brown Boy)
- 12.I'm Gonna Go Fishin'
- 14.Walk On The Wild Side
- 16.Be As Children
- 17.Jazz Waltz
- 18.Echoes Of Harlem
- 19.A Taste Of Honey
- 20.Terrence's Farewell
- 21.The Streets Of Laredo
2 LPs on 1 CDs: BOSSA NOVA (1962)/JAZZ WALTZ (1962).
Originally released on Reprise.
Personnel: Shorty Rogers (trumpet).
Like Stan Getz, Shorty Rogers was a horn player deeply influenced by the cool jazz innovations of Miles Davis in the 1950s. Also like Getz, Rogers was intrigued by bossa nova, the Brazilian song form that was gaining popularity at the time. Getz paired with two of bossa nova's greatest innovators (Joao Gilberto and Antonio Carlos Jobim) and made the bigger splash, but Rogers's BOSSA NOVA album should not be overlooked. Scored for a big band, BOSSA NOVA swings with a sultry cool, and features a few of Rogers's own excellent compositions.
JAZZ WALTZ features compositions all written in 3/4 (waltz) time, making for a unique outing that boasts a surprising amount of swing. Some of the tunes-- "Witchcraft," and "A Taste of Honey," for example--are given a new lease via the odd time signature and punchy reworkings. Both BOSSA NOVA and JAZZ WALTZ are included on this twofer, which was released by Collectables in 2002, putting the albums back in print for the first time in decades.