Herschel Bernardi Sings Fiddler On The Roof / Show Stopper (2-CD)
|You Save:||$3.99 (27% Off)|
Out of Print: Future availability is unknown
Format: CD (2 Discs)
sku: COL 7502
- Compilation Produced By: Dan Rivard
- New Stereo Mixes By: Ken Robertson
- Bonus Tracks:
- Tracks 11-12: Originally released as Columbia single 4-44756 in 1969
- Tracks 12-13: Originally released as Columbia single 4-44843 in 1969
- Tracks 14-15: Originally released as Columbia single 4-45285 in 1970
- Number of Discs: 2
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 2002
- Label: Collectables Records
- Original Album #1: Columbia Masterworks OS 3010 (1966)
- Original Album #2: Columbia C 30004 (1970)
Tracks on Disc 1:
- 2.Matchmaker, Matchmaker
- 3.If I Were A Rich Man
- 4.Sabbath Prayer
- 5.Miracle Of Miracles
- 6.To Life
- 7.Sunrise, Sunset
- 8.When Messiah Comes
- 10.Fiddler On The Roof
- 11.Zorba Theme (Life Is) (Bonus Track)
- 12.Only Love (Bonus Track)
Tracks on Disc 2:
- 2.Life Is
- 3.Fugue For Tinhorns
- 4.Try To Remember
- 5.Wilkommen / Cabaret
- 6.When I'm Not Near The Girl I Love
- 7.You've Got To Be Carefully Taught
- 8.Little Tin Box
- 9.Sunrise, Sunset
- 10.Hello Dolly!
- 11.Applause (Reprise)
- 12.Marry Me! Marry Me! (Bonus Track)
- 13.Something Simple (Bonus Track)
- 14.In My Own Lifetime (Bonus Track)
- 15.Pencil Marks On The Wall (Bonus Track)
2 LPs on 2 CDs: SINGS FIDDLER ON THE ROOF (1966)/SHOW STOPPER (1970).
Personnel includes Herschel Bernardi (vocals); Peter Matz (arranger, conductor).
Originally released on Columbia (3010) & Columbia (30004).
Since an actor's stage performances disappear after they are made before small audiences, while his or her television and film work is not only disseminated more widely but also preserved, it is easier to remember an actor like Herschel Bernardi for his numerous character parts or even for his voicing of Charlie the Tuna and the Jolly Green Giant on commercials than to appreciate his starring performances in such Broadway musicals as Bajour, Fiddler on the Roof, and Zorba. When he came in as a replacement Tevye in Fiddler on the Roof in November 1965, however, he was well-accepted, giving a more musical and personal performance than the clownish Zero Mostel, who originated the role. Columbia Records had him make an album of the score and even had librettist Joseph Stein write continuity, creating a kind of alternate version of the show. Bernardi also got to sing a couple of songs cut from the stage production, notably the moving "When Messiah Comes." The album made the charts, and after Zorba Bernardi went back into the studio to create a more varied collection of show songs, again with commentary between numbers, Show Stopper. This two-CD reissue combines those two complementary albums and even adds the contents of three non-LP singles Bernardi also cut for Columbia. The result is a wonderful collection of show music performed by a stage veteran whose personality comes across warmly even in the audio-only format. Bernardi is a precursor to Mandy Patinkin in his ability to create characters -- sometimes more than one in a song -- and make them believable. Among the singles tracks, "Pencil Marks on the Wall" is a powerful anti-war statement and "In My Own Lifetime" suggests that Bernardi would have made a terrific Mayer Rothschild in The Rothschilds. (Of course, he probably did.) ~ William Ruhlmann
Zero MostelFiddler on the Roof (Original Broadway Cast Recording)...
Chaim TopolFiddler on the Roof [Original London Cast] [Bonus Tracks]
Peter Gunn - Complete Series (12-DVD + Bonus Audio CD)
$78.17 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 3 ratings.
Based on 3 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- 38 Special Extended Versions (Live) (CD) ~ $4.99 on SALE
- 45 RPM "Doo Wop & Acappella" Starlight Sessions (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- The 5th Dimension Up Up and Away - The Encore Collection (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- Gregory Abbott Rhyme & Reason (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- The Aces Combo Introducing The Aces Combo (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
Collectables Records Labels:
- ? and The Mysterians 96 Tears (New Stereo Recording) / Midnight Hour (New Stereo Recording) (45) ~ $3
- 1910 Fruitgum Co. / Kasenetz-Katz Super Circus Indian Giver / Quick Joey Small (45) ~ $1 on SALE
- Jerri Adams It's Cool Inside / Play For Keeps (CD) ~ $9.73 on SALE
- Johnny Adams / Jeannie C. Riley Reconsider Me / Harper Valley PTA (45) ~ $3
- Johnny Adams Reconsider Me - A Golden Classics Edition (CD) ~ $9.98 on SALE