Percy Faith Angel of The Morning / Black Magic Women
|You Save:||$3.99 (27% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
by Percy Faith ~ Beatles Album / Jesus Christ Superstar ~ $10.98
by Percy Faith ~ Clair / New Thing ~ $10.98
by Percy Faith ~ Held Over! Today's Great Movie Themes / Leaving On A Jet Plane ~ $10.98
by Percy Faith ~ Those Were The Days / Love Theme From "Romeo & Juliet" ~ $10.98
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 2002
- Label: Collectables Records
Description by OLDIES.com:
Featuring a title song that features Percy's orchestra and chorus - and a contemporary, yet irresistible sound, "Angel Of The Morning" features a dramatic, instrumental version of "MacArthur Park." "Black Magic Woman" brings us to 1971 and Percy's rendition of the title song by Santana and many more very popular songs done instrumentally - though this time with emphasis on brass and percussion. (Bill Halvorsen)
- 1.Angel Of The Morning
- 2.Do You Know The Way To San Jose
- 3.Macarthur Park
- 4.Time For Livin'
- 5.Mrs. Robinson From "The Graduate"
- 6.Honey (I Miss You)
- 7.This Guy's In Love With You
- 8.Elvira's Theme
- 9.A Man Without Love (Quando M'innamoro)
- 10.Scarborough Fair / Canticle
- 11.Tell Her (Every Girl Likes To Be Told)
- 12.Black Magic Woman
- 13.The Sun King
- 14.Big Yellow Taxi
- 16.Reza (Ray-Za)
- 17.The Wailing Of The Willow
- 18.Viva Tirado
- 19.Oye Como Va
- 21.Never Can Say Goodbye
2 LPs on 1 CD: ANGEL OF THE MORNING (1968)/BLACK MAGIC WOMAN (1971).
Originally released on Columbia.
Adapter: Percy Faith.
Personnel: Max Bennet, Lou Morrell, Al Hendrickson (guitar); Erno Neufeld (strings); Anthony Ortego (woodwinds); Bill Tole (trumpet, trombone); Ralph Osborne (brass); Milt Holland, Jack Arnold (percussion).
Liner Note Author: Mark Marymont.
Arranger: Percy Faith.
One looks for something complementary when two LPs are put together on a single CD reissue, but the Percy Faith albums Angel of the Morning and Black Magic Woman are quite different and don't really belong together. A superficial examination might suggest that both consist largely of Faith's interpretations of pop music from, respectively, the late '60s and the early '70s, and that should make them a good pair, but a listen disproves that assumption. Angel of the Morning, originally released in 1968, was an album on which Faith employed a female chorus in addition to his usual orchestra, resulting in some odd versions of 1968 pop hits, such as the gender-rearranged death ballad "Honey" and the title song. (Somehow, hearing a whole chorus of women bitterly acknowledge a one-night stand is much stranger than just hearing just one. And, of course, in this rendition it's only the lyrics that are bitter, not the peppy singing.) Black Magic Woman, released three years later, was something else altogether, an intelligently programmed, enthusiastically performed instrumental record keyed by two Santana hits, the title song and "Oye Como Va," and investigating other aspects of Latin music, a particular interest of Faith's. There were some becalmed versions of pop hits like Bread's "If," but also some intriguing light jazz and strains of Mexican and Brazilian pop. Black Magic Woman was one of the best albums of the later part of Faith's career, far better and stylistically discontinuous from the dull and dated Angel of the Morning. If this two-fer sounds like standard-issue Percy Faith at first, wait until the 12th track kicks in, or, better yet, program your CD player to start there. ~ William Ruhlmann
Percy FaithBim! Bam!! Boom!!! / Themes For The "In" Crowd (CD)
$10.98 on SALE
Percy FaithChinatown Featuring The Entertainer / Summer Place '76 (CD)
$10.98 on SALE
Ultimate Rock & Roll Time Capsule, Volume 2 - Disc 1 (CD)
99¢ on SALE
Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD...
$9.98 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 4 ratings.
Based on 4 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 19,103
- UPC: 090431748824
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)
What the World Needs Now: Burt Bacharach Classics (CD)
$7.79 Super Savings
- 38 Special Extended Versions (Live) (CD) ~ $4.99 on SALE
- 45 RPM "Doo Wop & Acappella" Starlight Sessions (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- 49th Street 49th Street (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- The 5th Dimension Up Up and Away - The Encore Collection (CD) ~ $3.98 on SALE
- Gregory Abbott Rhyme & Reason (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
Collectables Records Labels:
- ? and The Mysterians 96 Tears (New Stereo Recording) / Midnight Hour (New Stereo Recording) (45) ~ $4
- Faye Adams Herald Recordings (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- Jerri Adams It's Cool Inside / Play For Keeps (CD) ~ $9.73 on SALE
- Johnny Adams / Jeannie C. Riley Reconsider Me / Harper Valley PTA (45) ~ $4
- Johnny Adams Reconsider Me - A Golden Classics Edition (CD) ~ $9.98 on SALE