Guadalcanal Diary Walking In The Shadow of The Big Man / Jamboree
|You Save:||$3.99 (27% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Hoodoo Gurus ~ Blow Your Cool! ~ $10.78
- Liner Notes: Eric Berman
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 2003
- Label: Collectables Records
- Original Album #1: Elektra 60429 (1984)
- Original Album #2: Elektra 60478 (1986)
Description by OLDIES.com:
Guadalcanal Diary was one of the most underrated bands to come out of the Athens, GA music scene of the 1980s. Their unique brew of lyrics focusing on left-of-center subject matter married to irresistible melodies with a bedrock foundation of thrashing drums and rhythmic bass lines, resulted in a sound that set them apart from their peers R.E.M., Pylon and the B-52's. The two albums on this Audio CD two-fer are the first two of the band's four total major label releases. The first, originally released in 1984, was produced by R.E.M. and Don Dixon. The second, released two years later, was produced by Rodney Mills (.38 Special, Atlanta Rhythm Section) and Steve Nye (XTC, Bryan Ferry, The Cure).
CMJ - 1/5/04, p.16Ranked #7 in CMJ's "Top 20 Most-Played Albums of 1985"
- 1.Trail Of Tears
- 2.Fire From Heaven
- 3.Sleepers Awake
- 4.Gilbert Takes The Wheel
- 5.Ghost On The Road
- 6.Watusi Rodeo
- 7.Why Do The Heathen Rage?
- 8.Pillow Talk
- 9.Walking In The Shadow Of The Big Man (Part 1)
- 11.Pray For Rain
- 12.Fear Of God
- 14.Michael Rockefeller
- 15.Spirit Train
- 16.Lonely Street
- 17.Country Club Gun
- 19.I See Moe
- 20.Please Stop Me
- 21.Dead Eyes
- 22.Cattle Prod
2 LPs on 1 CD: WALKING IN THE SHADOW OF THE BIG MAN (1985)/JAMBOREE (1986).
Guadalcanal Diary: Murray Attaway (vocals, acoustic & electric guitars); Jeff Walls (acoustic & electric guitars, lap steel guitar, auto harp, background vocals); Rhett Crowe (bass); John Poe (drums, bongos, background vocals).
Originally released on Elektra.
Personnel: Jeff Walls (vocals, acoustic guitar, electric guitar, lap steel guitar, autoharp); Murray Attaway (vocals, acoustic guitar, electric guitar); John Poe (vocals, drums, bongos).
Liner Note Author: Eric Berman.
Arranger: Guadalcanal Diary.
Collectables combined Guadalcanal Diary's first two albums -- 1984's Walking in the Shadow of the Big Man and 1986's Jamboree, both originally released on Elektra -- for this 2003 release. The first album, produced with a small budget by Don Dixon, helped establish them as a cult group, while the second -- produced mostly by Rodney Mills, with a couple songs produced by Steve Nye -- laid the foundation for 2X4, their third and best album. While 2X4 was easily the group's apex, the two albums on this disc are hardly baby steps, and some devout fans even view them as their favorites. Though the group strikes a strong resemblance to peers R.E.M., Murray Attaway's unique songwriting is enough to make the musical similarities seem less problematic. ~ Andy Kellman
Pacific Gas & ElectricAre You Ready / Pacific Gas And Electric - A Golden... (CD)
$10.98 on SALE
Manfred MannPretty Flamingo / The Five Faces of Manfred Mann (CD)
$5.98 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 23 ratings.
Based on 23 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 15,774
- UPC: 090431748626
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
- 38 Special Extended Versions (Live) (CD) ~ $4.99 on SALE
- 45 RPM "Doo Wop & Acappella" Starlight Sessions (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- 49th Street 49th Street (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- The 5th Dimension Up Up and Away - The Encore Collection (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- Gregory Abbott Rhyme & Reason (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
Collectables Records Labels:
- ? and The Mysterians 96 Tears (New Stereo Recording) / Midnight Hour (New Stereo Recording) (45) ~ $3
- Faye Adams Herald Recordings (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- Jerri Adams It's Cool Inside / Play For Keeps (CD) ~ $9.73 on SALE
- Johnny Adams / Jeannie C. Riley Reconsider Me / Harper Valley PTA (45) ~ $3
- Johnny Adams Reconsider Me - A Golden Classics Edition (CD) ~ $9.98 on SALE