- Rated: R
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 2 hours, 13 minutes
- Video: Color
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Released: May 22, 2007
- Originally Released: 1999
- Label: Lions Gate
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Anamorphic Widescreen - 1.85
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround - English
- Subtitles - English - Optional
- Additional Release Material:
- Isolated Music Score
- Audio Commentary: Roman Planski - Director
- Text/Photo Galleries:
- Production Notes
- Cast & Crew Information
- Gallery of Satanic Drawings
- Storyboard Selections
Performers, Cast and Crew:
"...A sardonic detective thriller peppered with carefully crafted pleasures..."
Movieline's Hollywood Life - 03/??/2000
"...Depp's performance is a consistent delight..."
Premiere - 08/01/2000
"...A lot of lowbrow fun....[Depp performs] with real panache..." -- 3 out of 5 stars - A Satisfying Rental
Sight and Sound - 09/01/2000
"...Polanski remains a supreme technician....The film is intricately well-made....THE NINTH GATE is generously spiced with humorous detail..."
Box Office - 05/01/2000
"...Engaging and well-executed....Johnny Depp excels in character roles..."
Los Angeles Times - 03/10/2000
"...THE NINTH GATE is well-crafted with a genteel and moody air....Polanski has concentrated on the subdued and the spooky. And he's thrown in some bizarre acting touches..."
Chicago Sun-Times - 03/10/2000
"...With its fiery, over-the-top spectacle and bolts of black humor, THE NINTH GATE is actually more in the spirit of VAMPIRE KILLERS than ROSEMARY'S BABY....Lena Olin is the ultimate cat woman..."
Based on a novel by Arturo Pérez-Reverte (THE CLUB DUMAS) and coscripted by director Roman Polanski, THE NINTH GATE was Polanski's first feature after a long break following the release of 1995's DEATH AND THE MAIDEN--in between, there was an aborted project that faltered when designated star John Travolta opted out. Dean Corso (Johnny Depp) is a cynical rare books dealer hired by Boris Balkan (Frank Langella), a scholar specializing in books on Satanism, to recover the only two remaining copies (in addition to the one owned by Balkan) of THE NINE GATES OF THE KINGDOM OF SHADOWS, a 17th-century text with cryptic illustrations supposedly contributed by Lucifer himself. Corso's investigation takes him to Europe, where he is pursued by a strange girl (Emmanuelle Seigner) who seemes to assume the role of his guardian angel: Bizarre deaths inspired by the book's morbid illustrations befall all those who come into contact with the book--except himself. This occult mystery should satisfy fans of subtly creepy, stylish tales of the supernatural along the lines of Polanski's own ROSEMARY'S BABY.
Based On A Novel |
- Theatrical release: March 31, 2000.
- Filmed on location in Paris, France; at the Château de Ferrières (near Paris); Sintra, Portugal; Toledo, Spain; and at the Sudios Epinay.
- José López Rodero, who plays a dual role (the shady Ceniza brothers), actually started out as the film's production manager. Polanski decided he would be perfect for the part(s) and persuaded Rodero (who had never done any professional acting before) to appear in the film.
- Emmanuelle Seigner is married to Roman Polanski.