- Run Time: 1 hours, 33 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: December 7, 1999
- Originally Released: 1999
- Label: Lions Gate
Encoding: Region 0 (Worldwide)
Packaging: Keep Case
Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 1.85
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - English
- Dolby Digital 2.0 - English
Additional Release Material:
- Audio Commentary - 1. Christ Zois - Screenwriter
- Behind the Scenes Footage
- Original Theatrical Trailer
- Millennium Trailer Gallery
- Interactive Full-Motion Menus
- Scene Access
- Photo Gallery
DVD-ROM Features: (PC Only)
- Printable Screenplay
- Screenplay Scene Access
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Los Angeles Times - 10/08/1999
"...Elliptical and stylized to the max....Ferrara fans should be pleased with this tale..."
Based on a short story by cyberpunk writer William Gibson (NEUROMANCER), this sleek film stars Willem Dafoe and Christopher Walken as freelance espionage agents looking for a way to make some money in a future ruled by warring corporations. They hit on a scheme to hire gorgeous Italian prostitute Sandii (Asia Argento) to seduce a brilliant chemical engineer (Yoshitaka Amano) into leaving his family and employers for a rival company. All goes well at first, but then it seems that X (Dafoe) and Sandii have fallen in love during her training, which may have somehow caused the whole deal to go haywire. Under the uncompromising eye of director Abel Ferrara, this weird new world seems beautiful, dangerous, and very sexy. Those looking for a conventional narrative may be stumped as portable video units and handheld camera-phones advance most of the plot, but for adventurous viewers willing to actively engage it, this unique mix of breathy eroticism and technological paranoia is highly seductive. Rap artist Schoolly D composed the moody electronic score. John Lurie, Victor Argo, and Ryuichi Sakamoto appear in cameos.
Director Abel Ferrara adapts this Willam Gibson story in which two criminals use an Italian prostitute to seduce secrets out of a Japanese geneticist.
Prostitutes / Whores |
- NEW ROSE HOTEL premiered at the Hamptons International Film Festival on October 14, 1998.
- Director Abel Ferrara won both the Elvira Notari Prize and the "Bastone Bianco" Awards for the film at the 1998 Venice Film Festival.
- Asia Argento is the daughter of renowned Italian horror director Dario Argento and has written and directed her own films.
- Christopher Walken and Willem Dafoe also served as coproducers for this film.
- The use of monitor screens and abstract video imagery to advance NEW ROSE HOTEL's plot is reminiscent of the productions staged by DaFoe's experimental New York theater company, the Wooster Group.