- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 54 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: June 30, 1998
- Originally Released: 1997
- Label: Lions Gate
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Dual Side - Single Layer
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Aspect Ratio: Letterbox - 1.85
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 1.85
- Additional Release Material:
- Audio Commentary: Mira Nair - Director
- Trailers: Original Theatrical Trailer
- Interactive Features:
- Scene Access
- Interactive Menus
- Text/Photo Galleries:
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Sight and Sound - 07/01/1997
"...Mesmerizing dance sequences..."
Variety - 10/21/1996
"...Varma brings a helpful, impressive sense of self-confidence and strength to Maya..."
Film Comment - 11/01/1996
"...Wonderfully sexy costumes, and often authentically erotic lovemaking..."
New York Times - 02/28/1997
"...Voluptuously pretty....A visually lovely film....[Varma] has the physical grace her role demands..."
Entertainment Weekly - 03/21/1997
"...It has a mood of overripe sensuality -- a commingling of skin, sweat, lust, and love -- that hits you like opium..."
Los Angeles Times - 02/28/1997
"...With its spectacular locales, lavish costumes, lush score and beautiful stars, KAMA SUTRA is visually sumptuous beyond description..."
Set in 16th century India, this film chronicles the sexual adventures of Maya, a beautiful, voluptuous servant girl. After seducing the king the night before his wedding, Maya is labeled a whore and expelled from the village. After a hot affair with a sculptor, Maya decides to become an "artist" herself by studying the lovemaking techniques set forth in the Kama Sutra. After her training ends, she sets her sights on becoming the chief prostitute of the king, a move that will affect the lives of many -- and possibly destroy the monarchy...
Love Triangle |
Period Piece |
- Shown at the 1996 Toronto and San Sebastian Film Festivals.
- Produced by Mirabai Films.
- Additional cast: Devin Rekha (Rasa).
- Additional credit: Michiyo Yoshizaki (executive producer).
- Color by Technicolor.