- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 30 minutes
- Video: Color
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Released: April 3, 2007
- Originally Released: 1995
- Label: Lions Gate
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Dolby Digital 2.0 - English
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Variety - 05/29/1995
"...This is high Oliveira country, where patience, thought and an offbeat sense of humor are amply repaid..."
Film Comment - 11/01/1995
"...THE CONVENT has a coolly attractive performance by Catherine Deneuve..."
Los Angeles Times - 12/01/1995
"...THE CONVENT is a sly, beautiful enigma of a movie, a reflection upon the eternal mystery of life itself..."
Chicago Sun-Times - 01/26/1997
"...Deneuve is perfectly in sync with the film's odd ebb and flow. She transforms the surroundings with her accustomary beauty and cool resolve..."
This latest work by the 86-year-old Portuguese writer-director Manoel de Oliveira showcases his eye for beautiful compositions, and his taste for detailed, magical narratives. And for the first time, de Oliveira works with movie stars--Catherine Deneuve and John Malkovich. An American professor and his dissatisfied wife, Hélene, journey to a remote monastery to conduct research. There, he hopes to find evidence to prove his thesis that William Shakespeare was actually a Sephardic Jew. When they arrive, the couple encounters the monastery's strange inhabitants, including the ancient building's sinister guardian, Baltar. De Oliveira suggests that one of the characters--maybe even Baltar or Hélene--is actually Satan, and develops a complex conflict between good and evil.
Family Interaction |
Good Vs. Evil |
Love Triangle |
- Co-produced by Madragoa Filmes (Portugal) and Gemini Films (France) with the participation of IPACA (Portugal), Secretaria de Estados de Cultura (Portugal), and Canal+ (France).
- Color by Kodak.
- Shown at the New York Film Festival, October 8, 1995.
- Released theatrically in New York City December 8, 1995.