- Rated: R
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 1 hours, 30 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: August 21, 2001
- Originally Released: 2000
- Label: Lions Gate
Notes: Side one of disc features the movie BOOK OF SHADOWS: BLAIR WITCH II, which is recorded as a DVD and playable on any DVD player. Side two of disc features the soundtrack, which is recorded as a CD and playable on any CD player or CD-compatible DVD player.
Side One: Feature Film
Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
Packaging: Keep Case - Sensormatic
Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 1.78
Single Side - Single Layer
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - English
Additional Release Material:
- Audio Commentary - 1. Joe Belinger - Director, Carter Burwell - Composer
- Featurette - 1. THE SECRET OF ESREVER
Side Two: CD Soundtrack
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Memorable Quotes and Dialog:
"Perception is reality." Tristan (Tristan Skylar) to Stephen (Stephen Barker Turner).
"Get out of the woods and go home. There is no goddman Blair Witch." Sheriff Craven (Lanny Flaherty) to tourists.
"You don't understand. Something happened in the woods. Something evil." Kim (Kim Director) to police officer.
"People think because I dress in black I'm some murderer or something." Kim (Kim Director) to Erica (Erica Leerhsen).
"Violent art has inspired real life violence." Newscaster.
New York Times - 10/27/2000
"...[Cleverly] riffs on the Blair Witch juggernaut....[Slips in] visual homages to everything from THE OMEN to THE NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD..."
Total Film - 12/01/2000
"...Very clever....[The] rippling hallucinatory tricks leave you with little idea as to what will spring from the screen next..."
Sight and Sound - 12/01/2000
"...There are interesting ideas throughout....There's a lot of classy talent behind the follow-up..."
Rolling Stone - 11/09/2000
"...Berlinger gives the woods of Burkittsville, Maryland a burnished glow that evokes both beauty and terror..."
Hollywood Reporter - 10/25/2000
"...Its writing contains subtlety and wit....A nifty essay on mass hysteria..."
Theatrical Release |
- Theatrical release: October 27, 2000
- The film was shot in Baltimore, MD.
- The characters of Erica and Kim collectively represent Damien Echols, the subject of Joe Berlinger's acclaimed documentary PARADISE LOST: THE MURDERS AT ROBIN HOOD HILL (1996). Damien, who was convicted to death (on extremely shoddy evidence) for the murder of three little boys, seems to have been framed by the police based on his propensity for black clothing and admission to being a Wiccan.
- BOOK OF SHADOWS was named after a book of witchcraft that police found in Damien Echol's possession. This book was used against him in his trial.
- As in the first film, the characters have the same first names as the actors who play them.
- Joe Berlinger names Stanley Kubrick's THE SHINING and Roman Polanski's ROSEMARY'S BABY as influences.
- Erica Leerhsen (Erica) studied witchcraft with a Wiccan to prepare for her role in the film.
- Eduardo Sanchez and Daniel Myrick, the directors of the first film, could not oversee this project because they were working on a romantic comedy. They both approved of the choice of Berlinger for director.
- The Blair Witch Webfest (at www.blairwitch.com) ran from October 18, 2000 to October 20, 2000 and featured interviews with director Berlinger and all of the stars, as well as horror movie experts including Fangoria Magazine's editor and EXORCIST Linda Blair.