Rosemary Clooney Date With The King (with Benny Goodman) / On Stage / Tenderly
|You Save:||$3.99 (27% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
by Rosemary Clooney ~ Collectables Classics (4-CD) ~ $34.43
- Compilation Produced By: Dan Rivard
- Liner Notes: Al Fichera
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 2002
- Label: Collectables Records
- Original Album #1: Columbia Records CL 2572 (1956)
- Original Album #2: Columbia Records CL 2581 (1956)
- Original Album #3: Columbia Records CL 2525 (1955)
Description by OLDIES.com:
Three original albums on one compact disc! "A Date With The King" features Rosie in the company of the reigning "King of Swing," Benny Goodman. "On Stage" was recorded live at the Palladium in London, and later released by Columbia. "Tenderly" was an extended-play release that contains recordings going back as far as 1949. Percy Faith accompanies Rosemary on three of the tracks.
- 1.Memories Of You
- 2.Can't We Talk About It
- 3.That's A' Plenty
- 4.A Fine Romance
- 5.It's Bad For Me
- 7.From This Moment On
- 8.Ebb Tide
- 9.It's Delovely
- 10.Danny Boy
- 11.Where Will The Dimple Be
- 12.Learnin' The Blues
- 14.I'll Be Around
- 15.Blues In The Night
- 16.Oh, You Beautiful Doll
- 17.The Lady Is A Tramp
- 18.What Is There To Say
3 LPs on 1 CD: DATE WITH THE KING (1956)/ON STAGE (1956)/TENDERLY (1955).
Originally released on Columbia 10" LPs.
Personnel: Rosemary Clooney (vocals).
Liner Note Author: Al Fichera.
This discount-priced reissue CD combines the contents of three 10" LPs associated with Rosemary Clooney and originally released by Columbia Records in 1955 and 1956. Ten-inch LPs usually contained eight songs, but these three only contained six each, for a total of 18 tracks in about 57 and a half minutes. The three present different sides of Clooney. Date With the King (tracks 1-6) isn't really a Rosemary Clooney solo collection; it's a Benny Goodman album on which Clooney sits in for three numbers. Goodman wanted to record Cole Porter's clever "It's Bad for Me" in 1955, and Columbia insisted that Clooney join in for added commercial appeal; she and Goodman share vocal duties on the song. Then the label wanted an album in addition to the single, so Goodman obliged with some sextet numbers and even let Clooney sing on "Memories of You" (with only a trio) and "Goodbye." The result is a nice little jazz set. Tracks 7-12 made up On Stage, supposedly a Clooney live album cut at the London Palladium, though annotator Al Fichera, pointing to the recording dates, questions whether it is really a treated studio recording with applause dubbed in. Whatever it is, there are some excellent Clooney performances, especially a version of Porter's "It's Delovely" preceded by an introduction in which she discusses her method of picking material for a concert. Tenderly (tracks 13-18) was actually a compilation of tracks recorded between 1949 and 1953, starting with the title song, said to be a gold single for Clooney. She mixes up ballads with rhythm numbers like "Blues in the Night" (also a chart hit for her) and handles both well. Although the three original LPs take different approaches, when joined together they give a well-rounded portrait of Clooney in her prime. ~ William Ruhlmann
Peggy KingGirl Meets Boy / Wish Upon A Star (with Percy Faith & His... (CD)
$10.98 on SALE
Rosemary ClooneyRed Garters / Irving Berlin's White Christmas (CD)
$12.98 on SALE
Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD...(4)
$9.98 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 5 ratings.
Based on 5 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 36,900
- UPC: 090431742723
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)(17)
Little Shop of Horrors [Original Motion Picture Soundtrack] (CD)(47)
$7.79 Super Savings
- 38 Special Extended Versions (Live) (CD) ~ $4.99 on SALE
- 45 RPM "Doo Wop & Acappella" Starlight Sessions (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- 49th Street 49th Street (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- The 5th Dimension Up Up and Away - The Encore Collection (CD) ~ $3.98 on SALE
- Gregory Abbott Rhyme & Reason (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
Collectables Records Labels:
- ? and The Mysterians 96 Tears (New Stereo Recording) / Midnight Hour (New Stereo Recording) (45) ~ $4
- Faye Adams Herald Recordings (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- Jerri Adams It's Cool Inside / Play For Keeps (CD) ~ $9.73 on SALE
- Johnny Adams / Jeannie C. Riley Reconsider Me / Harper Valley PTA (45) ~ $4
- Johnny Adams Reconsider Me - A Golden Classics Edition (CD) ~ $9.98 on SALE