Frankie Carle & His Orchestra The Very Best of Frankie Carle & His Orchestra - The Columbia Years
|You Save:||$3.99 (27% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Compiled and produced by Dan Rivard
- Digital audio restoration by Ken Robertson
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 2002
- Label: Collectables Records
Description by OLDIES.com:
The most senior of the big band leaders, Frankie Carle was also a composer of note - having had his works performed by Glenn Miller, Chet Atkins, Count Basic, Tommy Dorsey and Floyd Cramer. This compilation contains his best work on Columbia, including "Saturday Night (Is the Lonliest Night of the Week)" and "Evelina."
- 2.A Little On The Lonely Side
- 3.Saturday Night (Is The Loneliest Night In The Week)
- 4.Carle Boogie
- 5.Counting The Days
- 6.I Was Here When You Left Me (I'll Be Here When You Get Back)
- 7.Oh! What It Seemed To Be
- 8.One More Tomorrow
- 9.Without You (Tres Palabras)
- 10.I'd Be Lost Without You
- 11.Rumors Are Flying
- 12.It's All Over Now
- 13.Falling Leaves (Previously Unreleased)
- 14.Roses In The Rain
- 15.Penguin At The Waldorf
- 16.And Mimi
- 17.Peggy O' Neil
- 18.(I'm A-Comin' A-Courtin') Corabelle
- 19.Beg Your Pardon
- 20.Dreamy Lullaby
- 21.Moonlight Whispers (Previously Unreleased)
- 22.Dream A Little Dream Of Me
- 23.That Five O'clock Feeling
- 24.October Twilight
- 25.Cruising Down The River (On A Sunday Afternoon)
Personnel includes: Frankie Carle (piano); Paul Allen, Phyllis Lynne, Marjorie Hughes, Gregg Lawrence, Nan Wright (vocals).
Recorded between 1944 & 1949. Includes liner notes by Al Fichera.
All tracks have been digitally remastered.
Personnel: Phyllis Lynne, Nancy Wright , Marjorie Hughes, Paul Allen, Greg Lawrence (vocals).
Liner Note Author: Al Fichera.
Frankie Carle's sweet band enjoyed their greatest period of popularity in the mid-'40s, when they ranked just behind Swing and Sway With Sammy Kaye and Les Brown and His Band of Renown, scoring hits like "A Little on the Lonely Side," "Oh! What It Seemed to Be," and "Rumors Are Flying," each of which hit number one in Billboard and/or on Your Hit Parade. Carle's recordings have been reissued only sparsely over the years, and this 25-track single CD with a running time of nearly 75 minutes is the most extensive collection of his original Columbia Records tracks yet released. With the exception of "Charmaine," which placed in Billboard's jukebox chart for only a single week, and "Twelfth Street Rag," another one-week jukebox-chart entry that was actually an eight-year-old Carle solo piano instrumental dredged up during the 1948 recording ban, it includes all of Carle's hits from the period 1944-1949. And since he didn't actually have 25 hits, there's more. Especially welcome are instrumentals like "Carle Boogie" and "Penguin at the Waldorf" that give a sense of the leader's piano playing. Two of these non-vocal numbers are previously unreleased, "Falling Leaves" and "Moonlight Whispers," the latter co-written by Carle. But he remains best remembered for those dreamy ballad hits, many of them featuring his daughter, Marjorie Hughes, who turns in typically warm, yet uninvolved vocal choruses. History has been no kinder to Carle's brand of sweet swing music than jazz critics were at the time, but he retained a following that enabled him to perform for decades after he made these recordings, and this release brings back to notice a significant chunk of mid-'40s pop music. ~ William Ruhlmann
Les BrownThe Best of The Rare Les Brown (From The Okeh Vaults) (CD)
$7.49 on SALE
Les BrownLerner & Loewe Bandbook / Richard Rodgers Bandbook (CD)
$10.98 on SALE
Tony PastorRare Tony Pastor & His Orchestra (From The Columbia Vaults) (CD)
$7.49 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 4 ratings.
Based on 4 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 36,003
- UPC: 090431741627
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)
- 38 Special Extended Versions (Live) (CD) ~ $4.99 on SALE
- 45 RPM "Doo Wop & Acappella" Starlight Sessions (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- 49th Street 49th Street (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- The 5th Dimension Up Up and Away - The Encore Collection (CD) ~ $3.98 on SALE
- Gregory Abbott Rhyme & Reason (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
Collectables Records Labels:
- ? and The Mysterians 96 Tears (New Stereo Recording) / Midnight Hour (New Stereo Recording) (45) ~ $4
- Faye Adams Herald Recordings (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- Jerri Adams It's Cool Inside / Play For Keeps (CD) ~ $9.73 on SALE
- Johnny Adams / Jeannie C. Riley Reconsider Me / Harper Valley PTA (45) ~ $4
- Johnny Adams Reconsider Me - A Golden Classics Edition (CD) ~ $9.98 on SALE