- Rated: NC-17
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 2 hours, 11 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: July 27, 2004
- Originally Released: 1995
- Label: MGM (Video & DVD)
- Encoding: Region 0 (Worldwide)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Collectors Edition
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 2.35
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - English
- Stereo Surround - French
- Stereo Surround - Spanish
- Additional Release Material:
- Featurette: "A SHOWGIRLS Diary"
- Audio Commentary: "The Greatest Movie Ever Made" - David Schmader (SHOWGIRLS Aficianado)
- Trailers: Original Theatrical Trailer
- Pop-Up Trivia Track
- Video Commentary:
- The Girls of SCORES on Cheetahs Club
- "Pin the Pasties on the Showgirl" Game
- Deck of SHOWGIRLS Cards
- Elizabeth Berkley Photo Series
- Set of SHOWGIRLS Shot Glasses
- SHOWGIRLS Party Games
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Memorable Quotes and Dialog:
"I like Doggie Chow too!!"
- Nomi Malone (ELIZABETH BERKLEY), to Cristal Connors (GINA GERSHON), after Cristal admits to once eating the canine delicacy.
USA Today - 09/22/1995
Premiere - 07/01/2004
"[I]t's actually a blast."
High-strung, statuesque Nomi Mallone (Elizabeth Berkely) is determined to be a dancer in Las Vegas, whatever it takes--but she starts out as a stripper. Through her seamstress roommate (Gina Ravera), Nomi catches the attention of the voracious bisexual Cristal (Gina Gershon), star of an extravagant pagan sex show called "Goddess" which plays nightly at the swanky Stardust Casino. Through Cristal's influence, Nomi gets a chance to audition for "Goddess" and is soon involved in all sorts of sordid backstage goings-on, including bitchy dueling with Cristal over Stardust head honcho Zack (Kyle McLachlan). Maligned by many critics upon its original release, SHOWGIRLS has since become a true camp classic, revived for midnight showings and beloved for its decadence, high nudity yield, and outrageously catty dialogue (courtesy of screenwriter Joe Eszterhas). Its director is Paul Verhoeven (ROBOCOP, TOTAL RECALL), so one can safely assume SHOWGIRLS' over-the-top hostility and sexuality is meant to be a satire of American culture. One of the first big-budget Hollywood movies to be released with an NC-17 rating, its lack of box office success meant few others would have the guts to follow.
Cult Film |
Gay / Lesbian |
Las Vegas, Nevada |
Naked Women |
Scantily Clad Women |
- The first big-budget studio film that was given a rating of NC-17 by the MPAA. The film's budget has been estimated at $40-45 million. The film also was the first one rated NC-17 that was widely released (on 1,388 screens). But despite all the hoopla and publicity surrounding the film's release, it only grossed $20.1 million in the U.S.
- Color by Technicolor; in Clairmont widescreen.
- In DTS/SDDS Sound.
A Chargeurs production.
- Additional credits: Jamie Marshall, Amy Lauritsen (assistant directors).