- Rated: PG
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 1 hours, 34 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: December 2, 2003
- Originally Released: 1992
- Label: MGM (Video & DVD)
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Monaural - Spanish
- Stereo Surround - English
- Additional Release Material:
- Featurette: "Cast and Crew"
- Trailers: Original Theatrical Trailer
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Memorable Quotes and Dialog:
"When is this thing gonna end'"
- Julian Peters (Richard Lewis)
Los Angeles Times - 03/09/1992
"...Most of the cast attack their rules with gusto, especially John Candy....There's an unusually good, up-tempo score..."
An unemployed actor finds a woman in Rome with a Dachsund that turns out to be the hottest (stolen) dog in Europe. If the two can return the dog to Monte Carlo, they'll collect a big reward. Unfortunately, they discover its owner has been murdered and now they're the prime suspects.
A spurned woman and an unemployed actor travel to Monte Carlo to deliver a lost dachshund to its owner and collect a $5,000 reward. But the dog's owner has been murdered and through a bizarre series of complications, the pair becomes implicated in the crime. A madcap murder mystery ensues involving an assortment of zany suspects, including a compulsive gambler and the obligatory obnoxious American tourist.
- Shot in Technicolor.
- Rated BBFC PG by the British Board of Film Censors.
- Shown at American Film Market (AFM) in Santa Monica October 21-27, 1991.
- Special clothing by Gianni Versace.
- Working titles were: "Criminals," "Troublemakers," "Returning Napoleon," "Murder at Monte Carlo," and "Over My Dead Body."
- "Once Upon a Crime" is a remake of Mario Camerini's 1960 film, "Crimen," produced by Dino DeLaurentiis and written by Rodolfo Sonego, Girogio Arlorio, Stefano Strucchi, Luciano Vincenzoni and Oreste Biancoli.
- Feature film directorial debut for "SCTV" comedian Eugene Levy.
- George Hamilton replaced Joe Flaherty in the role of Alfonso de la Pena.