- Rated: R
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 1 hours, 40 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: February 6, 2001
- Originally Released: 1989
- Label: MGM (Video & DVD)
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Single Side - Single Layer
- Aspect Ratio: Letterbox - 1.85
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 1.85
- Dolby Digital 2.0 - English
- Dolby Digital Mono - French
- Additional Release Material:
Performers, Cast and Crew:
New York Times - 02/17/1989
"...Manages to be lighthearted without being soft in the head....Successively witty, romantic, simple and pretty..."
USA Today - 02/17/1989
"...[The actors are] photographed attractively..."
Los Angeles Times - 03/17/1989
"...Fun....The movie sparkles with playful tension, bubbles with amiability....The filmmakers and cast seem to be enjoying themselves..."
A wealthy businessman is brutally murdered. When the chief of police discovers that his closest childhood friend is the prime suspect, he is sure it is a set-up. The results of his investigation could have grave consequences.
On an unidentified Caribbean island, police chief Xavier Quinn is investigating the murder of a white businessman. His childhood friend Maubee is the chief suspect, but Quinn believes in his innocence. Adding to the pressure, the powers-that-be on the island want the case closed as soon as possible.
- Shot in Port Antonio, Jamaica; color by Continental.
- Filming began March 14, 1988.
- Estimated budget $13 million.
- The title of the film comes from a Bob Dylan song called "The Mighty Quinn."
- Released in New York City February 17, 1989 and in Los Angeles March 17, 1989. Released on video November 22, 1989.
- Reviewed in the New York Times February 17, 1989 and Monthly Film Bulletin July 1989.
- Rated BBFC 15 by the British Board of Film Censors.