- Rated: PG
- Run Time: 1 hours, 44 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: May 26, 2009
- Originally Released: 1991
- Label: 20th Century Fox
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen
- Dolby Surround - English, French, Spanish
- Subtitles - English, French, Spanish - Optional
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Memorable Quotes and Dialog:
"A love-skate relationship" from film's advertisement.
Rolling Stone - 04/30/1992
"...Kelly and Sweeney have a charm that's easy to root for..."
New York Times - 03/27/1992
"...Snappily paced and unusually well acted....Effectively bolstered by a chugging pop score..."
Los Angeles Times - 03/27/1992
"...[A] crowd-pleaser of sufficient wit, vitality and intelligence....Kelly and Sweeney are evenly matched..."
Chicago Sun-Times - 03/27/1992
"...The actors bring it a certain freshness. Kelly is effective....Sweeney is likable..."
Straight blades meet toe-picks in this hilarious and heartfelt story about the attraction of opposites. After an accident at the Olympics cuts his professional career short, a handsome ice hockey player named Doug (D.B. Sweeney, EIGHT MEN OUT) is paired with Kate (Moira Kelly, WITH HONORS), a talented but bitter figure skater whose dreams were also dashed at the Olympics. Her prima donna attitude sends most prospective partners running, but the initial clash between Kate and Doug gives way to a feisty, ice-melting romance that could take them both to victory. Made up of equal parts old-fashioned rom-com and modern movie romance, THE CUTTING EDGE is a lively sports dramedy co-starring LOST's Terry O'Quinn. It's also an endearing early departure for versatile screenwriter Tony Gilroy (MICHAEL CLAYTON, THE BOURNE IDENTITY).
Moira Kelly (Dangerous Beauty, "The West Wing") and D. B. Sweeney (Roommates, Memphis Belle) star as polar opposites who unite on the ice for a shot at Olympic gold in this inspirational romantic comedy from acclaimed director Paul M. Glaser (The Running Man). Brimming with wit, charm and plenty of breathtaking sports action, The Cutting Edge is a real winner! She's a rich and refined pairs figure skater whose prima donna attitude has her skating solo. He's a brash, blue-collar hockey champion with a new injury and no future. With nothing in common but their dream of reaching the Olympics, Kate and Doug are each other's last resort. Reluctantly, they join forces, but its not long before the barbsand sparksstart flying as the unlikely pair skate towards the opportunity of a lifetime: a chance at a medal... and a chance at love.
Source: 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment
A rough and tumble ex-hockey player is paired with a frosty ice skater to form a dynamic amateur skating team. A powerful skater he has to put down his stick after an eye injury and learn the grace and discipline of the new sport. Reluctantly, he learns the ropes from his new partner who is a driven perfectionist. Their skating passion turns to romance as they race for the gold.
Love Story |
Personal Triumph |
Theatrical Release |
- The skaters in the film include Tina Muir (Nyman); Christine Hough and Doug Ladret (Smilkov & Brushkin); Krista Coady and Brian Geddeis (Dubois & Gercel); Penny Papaioannou and Raoul LeBlanc (Weiderman Twins); Michelle Menzies and Kevin Wheeler (Yumez & Weaver); Patricia MacNeil and Cory Watson (Nationals Pair #1); Janice Yeck and Scott MacDonald (Nationals Pair #2); Allison Gaylor and John Robinson (Olympic Pair #1); Kim Esdaile and Sean Rice (Olympic Pair #2) and Haley Williams and John Jenkins (Olympic Pair #3).
- This film is an InterScope Communications production.