She Goes to War
|CYBER SALE:||$5.95 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$2.03 (25% Off)|
- Run Time: 58 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Encoding: Region 0 (Worldwide)
- Released: March 25, 2014
- Originally Released: 1929
- Label: Alpha Video
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Eleanor Boardman & John Holland|
|Performer:||Edmund Burns, Al St. John & Yola d'Avril|
|Directed by||Henry King|
Description by OLDIES.com:
Originally released by United Artists, She Goes to War was a late-entry silent feature boasting sound sequences. In its later reissues, however, the sound sequences were retained while many of the silent sequences and subtitles were eliminated, lending the film a surreal, fragmented, almost dream-like quality. The fiery tank climax, augmented by intense combat footage, remains vivid and impressive over 85 years later.
Director Henry King (1886-1982) received the very first Golden Globe Award as Best Director for The Song of Bernadette (1944), and received Oscar nominations for that film and Wilson (1945). He amassed over 100 acting credits during the silent era before making the transition to directing. Among his many classics (most produced by Twentieth Century Fox) are In Old Chicago (1937), Alexander's Ragtime Band (1938), Jesse James (1939), Twelve O'Clock High (1949), The Gunfighter (1950), The Snows of Kilimanjaro (1952), Rodgers & Hammerstein's Carousel (1956), and the 1957 adaptation of Ernest Hemingway's The Sun Also Rises.
BONUS: The Memory Lingers On -- This documentary pays tribute to the events and personalities that shaped history, including Armistice Day in 1918, William S. Hart, the Keystone Kops, Charles A. Lindbergh, Jack Dempsey and Jess Willard, Enrico Caruso, Will Rogers and Franklin D. Roosevelt.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
When this film was released in 1929, it was already an old fashioned anomaly: a silent film in a talkie world. To save it, talking sequences were shot and grafted into the film, a practice often referred to as "goat glanding". This silent/talkie hybrids were usually awkward at best and not surprisingly, many do not exist today. "She Goes to War" BARELY does, as it now rubs less than an hour when it was 87 minutes in initial release. Seems the only accessible material is a1939 reissue where all the title cards have been removed as well as some of the subplots. Even so, there are several sequences that attest to Henry King's genius. It is my hope that getter and more complete material surfaces on this film ( and King's next feature "Hell Harbor"). Until then, I recommend Alpha's presentation, which also includes an interesting nostalgic newsreel from the Kate 1930's.
- Sales Rank: 12,199
- UPC: 089218735690
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
- 2Pac Tupac - Live at the House of Blues (Blu-ray) ~ $15.96 CYBER SALE
- 2Pac Tupac - Complete Live Performances (2-DVD) ~ $15.96 CYBER SALE
- 50 Cent Behind-the-Scenes Footage and Music Videos (DVD) ~ $2.98 CYBER SALE
- 50 Cent Refuse 2 Die: The Unauthorized Biography (DVD) ~ $4.98 CYBER SALE
- 50 Cent Shoot First (DVD) ~ $4.98 CYBER SALE
- 26 Men - Volumes 1-3 (3-DVD) ~ $10.50 CYBER SALE
- $50,000 Reward (Silent) (with Bonus Short, "Then Came The Yawn") (DVD) ~ $5.95 CYBER SALE
- 7 Sins of The Vampire (2002) / Devilish Desire of Dario Dragani (2012) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 CYBER SALE
- 70s Grindhouse Black Exploitation: TNT Jackson (1979) / The Black Godfather (1974) / Black Cobra (1981) / Black Cobra 2 (1990) / Black Cobra 3: The Manila Connection (1990) / The Black Gestapo (1975) / The Black Six (1974) (3-DVD) ~ $10.50 CYBER SALE
- Abilene Town (DVD) ~ $5.95 CYBER SALE