Blu-ray Disc Features:
- Rated: PG-13
- Run Time: 1 hours, 38 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: June 17, 2008
- Originally Released: 1997
- Label: Sony Pictures
- Aspect Ratio: Anamorphic Widescreen - 1.85
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Dolby Digital 5.1- English, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Thai
- Subtitles - Arabic, Chinese, Dutch, English, French, Indonesian, Korean, Portuguese, Spanish, Thai - Optional
- Additional Release Material:
- Extended and Alternate Scenes
- Magic Team
- Music Vide - MEN IN BLACK
- Technical Commentary with Barry Sonnenfeld, Rick Baker, and Industrial Light &
- Telestrator Commentary - Barry Sonnefeld, Director; Tommy Lee Jones; Actor
- Visual Effects Scene Deconstructions Technical Commentary
Behind the Scenes:
- Men In Black Theatrical Trailer
- Men In Black Teaser Trailer
- Metamorphosis of Men In Black
- Visual Effects Scene Deconstructions
- Frank The Pug
- Intergalatic Pursuit: The Men In Black Multi-Player Trivia Game
- Scene Editing Workshop
- Conceptual Art Gallery
- Production Photo Gallery
- Character Animation Studies
- Storyboard Comparisons
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Tommy Lee Jones &
Sean Whalen &
Jim Miller &
Walter F. Parkes &
Director of Photography:
Academy Awards 1997 -
Best Makeup: Rick Baker
USA Today - 07/01/1997
"...The out-there premise is irresistible.... Effects master Rick Baker whips up a swell array of oddball creatures great, small and just plain strange..." -- 4 out of 4 stars
New York Times - 07/01/1997
"...Dryly clever....Extraordinarily ambitious, with all-star design and special-effects talent and a genuinely artful visual style..."
Los Angeles Times - 07/01/1997
"...Wised-up and offhandedly funny....Barry Sonnenfeld is an excellent director for this point of view, and MEN IN BLACK is a blend of the strengths of his previous films..."
Chicago Sun-Times - 07/01/1997
"...The movie makes good use of a lot of New York landmarks....[The film] deflates one sci-fi pomposity after another..."
Total Film - 06/01/2012
4 stars out of 5 -- "[T]he leads' buddy-buddy act works a charm, Smith's mock-macho maximalism and Jones' dour minimalism deliciously contrasted."
In the 1950s a super-secret government agency was formed to monitor and police the activities of extraterrestrial aliens on the planet Earth. Some 40 years later a founding father of the agency, Agent Kay (Tommy Lee Jones), finds himself with a new smart-mouthed partner fresh from the NYPD who is soon dubbed Agent Jay (Will Smith). Their first mission is to save the Earth from destruction by a giant insectlike alien (Vincent D'Onfrio) that, incidentally, drives an exterminator's truck. Armed with their matching Ray-Bans, skinny ties, and space-age weapons that Jay barely understands--he calls the Neuralyzer the "flashy thing"--the new duo begin another average day of fighting intergalactic terrorists. An amazingly hip and terribly clever movie that riffs on everything from E.T.--THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIAL to CASABLANCA, this Barry Sonnenfeld film is based on the equally savvy comic book by Lowell Cunningham.
Description by Sony Pictures Home Entertainment:
Men in Black follows the exploits of agents Kay (Jones) and Jay (Smith), members of a top-secret organization established to monitor alien activity on Earth. The two MiB find themselves in the middleof the deadly plot by an intergalactic terrorist (Vincent D'Onofrio) who has arrived on Earth to assassinate two ambassadors from opposing galaxies.
A hilariously stoic top-secret federal agent (Tommy Lee Jones) and his wisecracking partner (Will Smith) don their matching Ray-Bans and skinny black ties and proceed to use all their considerable weaponry and wit to save the world from an undocumented and extremely unfriendly mantislike alien. MEN IN BLACK is a successful, tongue-in-cheek spoof of summer blockbuster alien invasion flicks, based on the comic book by Lowell Cunningham.
Alien Life Forms |
Secret Agents |
- Filmed in New York City and in studio (Culver City, CA).
- Estimated budget: $90 million.
- The film grossed more than $250 million at the domestic box office and nearly $600 million worldwide.