- Rated: PG-13
- Run Time: 1 hours, 43 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: June 24, 2008
- Originally Released: 2007
- Label: Screen Media
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Snap Case
- Aspect Ratio: Anamorphic Widescreen - 1.78
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround - English
- Subtitles - English (SDH), Spanish - Optional
- Additional Release Material:
- Featurette: Behind the Scenes
- Audio Commentary: Director's Commentary
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Los Angeles Times - 12/28/2007
"The film evocatively charts a time and place where change has been a longtime coming and buoyantly imagines a turning point where, at least musically, anything is possible."
Total Film - 06/01/2008
4 stars out of 5 -- "All the strands that fed into rock 'n' roll -- R&B, blues, jazz, gospel and country -- run through the action, finally coming together in the jam session that forms the film's triumphant unfettered climax."
Sight and Sound - 05/01/2008
"[T]his is a warm, sweet-natured movie....Glover holds the centre with weary dignity, and there's a touchingly vulnerable performance from Yaya DaCosta..."
Empire - 06/01/2008
3 stars out of 5 -- "Throw in a fledgling R&B soundtrack and earthy photography courtesy of Mike Leigh regular Dick Pope, and you've got a gentle, enjoyable musical fable."
Uncut - 06/01/2008
3 stars out of 5 -- "[A]s always with Sayles, the good stuff is in the characterisations. Glover is a treat as Pine Top, and there's a fine comic turn from Charles S. Dutton as his long-suffering side-kick..."
Blues Music |
Music (General) |
Rock And Roll |
- Theatrical Release: December 28, 2007 (Limited)