- Rated: PG
- Run Time: 1 hours, 21 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: July 29, 2008
- Originally Released: 1983
- Label: Blue Underground
- Encoding: Region 0 (Worldwide)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 1.78
- 5.1 Dolby Digital Surround EX - English
- 6.1 DTS-ES - English
- Dolby Digital 2.0 - English
- Subtitles - English, French, Spanish - Optional
- Additional Release Material:
- Audio Commentary: Audio Commentary with Producer/Director Ralph Bakshi
- Featurette: Bakshi on Frazetta
- Behind the Scenes:
Trailers: Theatrical Trailer
- Production Notes - Sean Hannon's Diary Notes
- The Making of FIRE AND ICE
- Stills/Photos: Behind-the-Scenes - Still Gallery
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Variety - 08/31/1983
"...Bakshi and Frazetta create some nice illusions of depth..."
Celebrated sword-and-sorcery artist Frank Frazetta teams up with animation director Ralph Bakshi for this high-energy animated fantasy. It's a prehistoric battle of the elements as the dissolute ruler of the Ice World, Nekron (Sean Hannon), starts a war against the fire people using a massive, advancing glacier and armies of subhuman monsters as his weapons. When he arranges to have the fire king's shapely daughter, Teegra (Cynthia Lenke), kidnapped, the adventure begins as she escapes her captors and hooks up with Lorn (Randy Norton), lone survivor of an earlier skirmish. With the aid of a mysterious dark warrior (based on Frazetta's famous painting "The Death Dealer"), Lorn and Teegra fight the armies of Nekron as well as giant monsters, lesbian sorcerers, and other comic book delights. A thunderous classical score by William Kraft adds excitement to this violent, sexy, fast-moving film. It also benefits from unusual animation techniques that nicely complement the far-out imaginations of Frazetta, Bakshi, and screenwriters Roy Thomas and Gerry Conway.
Description by Ryko Distribution:
It began as a once-in-a-lifetime collaboration between two of the greatest icons of the fantasy genre: Controversial animator Ralph Bakshi (director of FRITZ THE CAT, WIZARDS and the original THE LORD OF THE RINGS) and legendary illustrator Frank Frazetta (creator of the iconic CONAN THE BARBARIAN, VAMPIRELLA and Edgar Rice Burroughs book covers). It became - and remains - one of the most startling animation epics of all time. Now experience a world unlike any ever seen, where savage warriors, horrific monsters and luscious maidens battle for the soul of a civilization in a time of good and evil, pleasure and pain, and FIRE & ICE.
FIRE AND ICE is an animated adventure film created by director Ralph Bakshi and fantasy illustrator Frank Frazetta in which a jungle hero saves a beautiful princess from the clutches of the Creatures of the Ice.
Animated Characters |
Animated Worlds |
Cult Film |
Good Vs. Evil |
- This film was animated via rotoscoping, an animation process involving painting over live-action film.
- The screenplay is by Roy Thomas and Gerry Conway, authors of various comic books, including Marvel's early CONAN THE BARBARIAN adaptations.