Blu-ray Disc Features:
- Number of Discs: 2
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 6 hours, 12 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: August 5, 2008
- Originally Released: 1990
- Label: Rhi Entertainment
- 2-Disc Set
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Collectors Edition
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 1.85
- Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround - English
- Additional Release Material:
- Featurette: Making of (50 Minutes)
- Original Interviews on the Set
- All-New Interview with Director Simon Wincer
Performers, Cast and Crew:
USA Today - 08/16/1991
"...Robert Duvall gives the performance of his career..."
Empire - 05/01/2008
3 stars out of 5 -- "Robert Duvall and Tommy Lee Jones lead the amazing cast...It's an enjoyable six-hour yarn..."
Sight and Sound - 05/01/2008
"[I]ts appeal lies in its deeply entrenched romanticism, even though the world it depicts is frequently harsh and violent."
Uncut - 06/01/2008
4 stars out of 5 -- "Robert Duvall and Tommy Lee Jones star, and dominate....[Urich is] uncommonly good as the killer Blue Duck."
LONESOME DOVE is the acclaimed TV Western saga based on the Pulitzer Prize-winning novel by Larry McMurtry. As the story begins, two former Texas Rangers (Robert Duvall and Tommy Lee Jones) leave the Texas town of Lonesome Dove on a 3,000-mile cattle drive to the unsettled ranch country of Montana. This epic film features outstanding performances by an impressive cast that also consists of Anjelica Huston, Danny Glover, Frederic Forrest, Chris Cooper, and many more. This comprehensive release includes: "Part 1: Leaving," "Part 2: On the Trail," "Part 3: The Plains," and "Part 4: Return."
Description by Genius Productions:
Experience the Emmy Award-winning masterpiece as never before with Lonesome Dove 2- Disc Collector's Edition. Presented for the first time digitally re-mastered, in widescreen picture, and 5.1 surround sound, the all-time western classic is filled with all-new bonus features. Based upon the Pulitzer Prize-winning book by Larry McMurtry and set in the late nineteenth century, this sprawling epic of the Old West is the story of the last defiant frontier, a daring cattle drive, and an undying love. Lonesome Dove continues to be a treasured classic for all generations.
Stars: Robert Duvall (The Godfather), Tommy Lee Jones (No Country for Old Men), Diane Lane (Unfaithful), Angelica Houston (Seraphim Falls), Danny Glover (Dreamgirls) , Chris Cooper (Breach, American Beauty).
Two former Texas Rangers leave the South Texas town of Lonesome Dove on a 2500-mile cattle drive to the unsettled ranch country of Montana.
- Winner of the 1988-89 Television Critics Association Awards for Outstanding Achievement in Drama and Outstanding Program of the year. Winner of the 1990 George Foster Peabody Award for television drama.
- Shot on location in Texas, New Mexico and Arizona.
- Began shooting March 21, 1988; completed shooting July 3, 1988.
- Broadcast on television February 5-8, 1989.
- Released on video July 22, 1991.
- Estimated budget $20 million.