- Rated: Unrated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 39 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Released: August 12, 2008
- Originally Released: 2006
- Label: Criterion
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 1.85
- Dolby Digital 2.0 - English
- Additional Release Material:
- Deleted Scenes
- Additional Audio Material: Optional Narration Tracks by Isabella Rossellini, Laurie Anderson, John Ashbery, Crispin Glover, Guy Maddin, Louis Negrin, and Eli Wallach
- Documentary: The Making of BRAND UPON THE BRAIN!
- IT'S MY MOTHER'S BIRTHDAY TODAY - Guy Maddin, Director
- FOOTSTEPS - Guy Maddin, Director
- Essay: Dennis Lim, Film Critic
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Entertainment Weekly - 08/15/2008
"[B]rilliant....You just have to see this dreamlike creative eruption for yourself." -- Grade: A
Sight and Sound - 11/01/2008
"The second instalment of Guy Maddin's loose autobiographical trilogy may well be the maddest....Maddin fans will know what to expect from the deliriously retro staging..."
Guy Maddin (THE SADDEST MUSIC IN THE WORLD, MY WINNIPEG, CAREFUL) directs this moving silent satire about several families and the secrets they possess. Emotional yet thoughtful and infused with surrealist touches, the film offers an original and somewhat horrific view on the experience--the aching delicateness--of growing up. Through his unconventionally autobiographical, transcendently un-gimmicky methods, Maddin once again cuts to the core of emotional truth. The film exists in several presentations, including its original silent format as well as with several voice-over narrations from such talents as Isabella Rosselini and poet John Ashbury.
Description by Image Entertainment:
In the weird and wonderful super-cinematic world of Canadian cult filmmaker Guy Maddin, personal memory collides with movie lore for a radical sensory overload. This eerie excursion into the gothic recesses of Maddin's mad, imaginary childhood is a silent, black-and-white comic science-fiction nightmare set in a lighthouse on grim Notch Island, where fictional protagonist Guy Maddin was raised by an ironfisted, puritanical mother. Originally mounted as a theatrical event (accompanied by live orchestra, foley artists, and assorted narrators), Brand upon the Brain! is an irreverent, delirious trip into the mind of one of current cinema's true eccentrics.
Science Fiction |
Silent Cinema |
Silent Films |
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 13 ratings.
Be the first Movie Lover to
write an online review of this product!
- UPC: 715515031127
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item