- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 3 hours, 7 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: September 9, 2008
- Originally Released: 1996
- Label: Rhi Entertainment
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 1.85
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Kristin Scott Thomas,
Edward Petherdridge &
This acclaimed made-for-television version of Swift's fantasy employs an all-star cast and superior special effects to portray all four books in the cycle. From Lilliput and Brobdingnag to Laputa and the lands of the Struldbruggs and Houyhnhnms, Gulliver's 9-year odyssey and his struggle to prove his sanity are vividly brought to life.
Ted Danson stars as Doctor Lemuel Gulliver in this spectacular television version of Jonathan Swift's classic satire of English society.
Gulliver returns to England from his perilous journey to find that during his 8-year absence, his wife, Mary, gave birth to a son he'd never met, his medial practice has been taken over by Dr. Bates, and all these years Mary has been employed as housekeeper for Bates, but has successfully spurred his proposals of marriage.
Meeting his boy, Tom, for the first time, Gulliver begins to recount his travels. He tells him of the Lilliputians: the tiny, belligerent people who employed Gulliver to attack their rivals. Then he recalls meeting the giants, who turned him into a novelty attraction; the geniuses from the flying island of Laputa; and the Houyhnhunms, a breed of intelligent, rational horses that have created a nearly perfect society.
While Mary and Dr. Bates listen to Gulliver's stories, they become convinced that Gulliver is mad. And Bates becomes very aware that he has the opportunity to lock away Gulliver in a mental asylum -- and keep the medical practice and Mary for himself.
- Aired originally on the NBC Television Network February 4 and 5, 1996. Fifty six million people watched it when it first aired.
- Shot on location in Portugal, Oxford and Dorset. Shooting began on April 17, 1995.
- Additional cast: Thomas Sturridge; Mac McDonald; Gordon Sterne; John Bardon; Stephan Kalipha; Sandeep Sharma; Simon Tyrrell; Mike Savage; Anne Lambton; Cyril Shaps; Ian Dunn; Malcolm Stoddard; Wolf Christian.
- Original soundtrack available on RCA Victor.