- Rated: PG
- Run Time: 2 hours, 7 minutes
- Video: Color
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Released: September 9, 2008
- Originally Released: 1967
- Label: Warner Home Video
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Additional Release Material:
- New Making of Documentary
- Audio Commentary: Newman
- Text/Photo Galleries:
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Memorable Quotes and Dialog:
"What we have here is a failure to communicate."
- Captain (Strother Martin) to Luke (Paul Newman)
"Small town, not much to do in the evenin'."
- Luke, explaining why he cut the heads off parking meters
"I can eat fifty eggs."--Luke
"Nobody can eat fifty eggs."
- Dragline (George Kennedy)
"Wish you'd stop bein' so good to me, cap'n." Luke to Captain, after he's been put in chains
"He's a natural born world-shaker."
- Dragline, about Luke
"What we've got here is failure to communicate."
Academy Awards 1967 -
Best Supporting Actor: George Kennedy
Total Film - 03/01/2000
"...This is a fantastic ensemble piece led by a career-high performance from Newman and stylish direction from Rosenberg..." -- 5 out of 5 stars
USA Today - 03/13/1996
"...Paul Newman had one of his best roles....Much of the fun today comes from eyeing minor players. Newman's fellow rock-splitters include Dennis Hopper and Richard Davalos..."
Uncut - 03/01/2006
4 stars out of 5 -- "Simultaneously biting and blithe....Newman's effortless performance drives things..."
Sight and Sound - 03/01/2006
"Paul Newman enjoys one of his finest hours as the endlessly defiant convict in Stuart Rosenberg's prison-set drama."
Entertainment Weekly - 09/12/2008
"Surrounded by such great character actors as Dennis Hopper and Strother Martin...Newman has never looked more godlike." -- Grade: B+
Empire - 10/01/2008
4 stars out of 5 -- "As a supreme showcase for Paul Newman's charisma, COOL HAND LUKE is pure magic....It was impeccably cast, superbly acted, [and] beautifully shot by Conrad Hall."
Classic Fight Scenes |
Essential Cinema |
Prison / Prisoners |
Theatrical Release |
- Filmed in Panavision near Stockton, California; color by Technicolor.
- Jalem Films is actor Jack Lemmon's production company.