Blu-ray Disc Features:
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 2 hours, 7 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: September 9, 2008
- Originally Released: 1967
- Label: Warner Home Video
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Dolby Digital 1.0 English, French, Spanish, Castilian, Latin, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese
- Subtitles - Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, Spanish, German, Italian, Japanese, Norwegian, Portuguese, Swedish
- Additional Release Material:
- Audio Commentary: Historian Newman
- Featurette: New Making of Documentary - A Natural Born-World Shaker: Making Cool Hand Luke
- Text/Photo Galleries:
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Memorable Quotes and Dialog:
"What we have here is a failure to communicate."
- Captain (Strother Martin) to Luke (Paul Newman)
"Small town, not much to do in the evenin'."
- Luke, explaining why he cut the heads off parking meters
"I can eat fifty eggs."--Luke
"Nobody can eat fifty eggs."
- Dragline (George Kennedy)
"Wish you'd stop bein' so good to me, cap'n." Luke to Captain, after he's been put in chains
"He's a natural born world-shaker."
- Dragline, about Luke
"What we've got here is failure to communicate."
Academy Awards 1967 -
Best Supporting Actor: George Kennedy
Total Film - 03/01/2000
"...This is a fantastic ensemble piece led by a career-high performance from Newman and stylish direction from Rosenberg..." -- 5 out of 5 stars
USA Today - 03/13/1996
"...Paul Newman had one of his best roles....Much of the fun today comes from eyeing minor players. Newman's fellow rock-splitters include Dennis Hopper and Richard Davalos..."
Uncut - 03/01/2006
4 stars out of 5 -- "Simultaneously biting and blithe....Newman's effortless performance drives things..."
Sight and Sound - 03/01/2006
"Paul Newman enjoys one of his finest hours as the endlessly defiant convict in Stuart Rosenberg's prison-set drama."
Entertainment Weekly - 09/12/2008
"Surrounded by such great character actors as Dennis Hopper and Strother Martin...Newman has never looked more godlike." -- Grade: B+
Empire - 10/01/2008
4 stars out of 5 -- "As a supreme showcase for Paul Newman's charisma, COOL HAND LUKE is pure magic....It was impeccably cast, superbly acted, [and] beautifully shot by Conrad Hall."
In this classic Southern prison drama, social misfit Lucas "Luke" Jackson (Paul Newman) is incarcerated for a petty crime and sentenced to a chain gang. Luke is a sullen and laconic young man whose cool defiance of the sadistic warden and bullying inmates earns him the title "Cool Hand Luke." But as the prisoners' respect for Luke grows into hero worship, he finds that he must risk everything in order to live up to their expectations. Filled with dozens of memorable scenes (Luke eating 50 eggs) and quotable lines ("What we have here is a failure to communicate."), COOL HAND LUKE is a testament to excellent screenwriting (Donn Pearce and Frank Pierson) and Newman's charm and skill as an actor. The film also features an outstanding supporting cast that includes George Kennedy, Strother Martin, and early screen appearances by Dennis Hopper and Harry Dean Stanton.
Description by Warner Home Video :
A defiant chain-gang prisoner suffers a "failure to communicate" in this searing drama. Paul Newman Shines in the title role, George Kennedy as his sidekick won an Oscar.
- Filmed in Panavision near Stockton, California; color by Technicolor.
- Jalem Films is actor Jack Lemmon's production company.