- Rated: G
- Run Time: 1 hours, 43 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: September 16, 2008
- Originally Released: 1996
- Label: Walt Disney Video
Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
Packaging: Keep Case - Collectible Foil O-Sleeve
Aspect Ratio: Anamorphic Widescreen - 2.35
- Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround - English, French, Spanish
- Subtitles - French, Spanish - Optional
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Variety - 11/25/1996
"...Close delivers show-stopping line readings that are simply non-pareil....Daniels and Richardson prove winning and well-matched..."
Slapstick kingpin John Hughes translates the classic animated children's tale into a campy live-action slugfest. The fur-loving, sadistic Cruella De Vil (Close, at her most outrageous) pants after the pelts of the titular puppies, hoping to sew them into a fabulous coat, but the dogs outsmart her and her bumbling henchmen.
Description by Buena Vista Home Entertaiment:
Unleashing every ounce of Disney magic, 101 DALMATIANS thrills audiences of all ages with fast-paced adventure and comedy -- featuring a brilliant performance by five-time Academy Award(R) nominee Glenn Close (including Best Actress, DANGEROUS LIASONS, 1988) as Cruella De Vil. Achieving new heights of hilarity, Disney's all-time classic puppy tale comes to life as a worldwide box office sensation. In their small London flat, Dalmatians Pongo and Perdy, and their human "pets" Roger and Anita, are overjoyed by the arrival of 15 puppies. But when the spotted-fur-loving Ms. De Vil and her clumsy cohorts, Jasper and Horace, dognap the litter -- along with every other Dalmatian pup in London -- Pongo and Perdy must rally the town's animals to the rescue. The plan hurls them towards a thrilling climax filled with uproarious moments as the puppies attempt to outwit their captors and bring on a final showdown with Cruella! Packed with one of the largest and cutest collections of puppies ever brought to film, 101 DALMATIANS also features a superb cast of talented humans, including Jeff Daniels, Joely Richardson and Joan Plowright. Now you can bring home Disney's live-action comedy hit, praised by critics as nothing short of "phenomenal!" (CBS-TV)
The live-action version of one Disney's most popular animated films.
When dalmatians Pongo and Perdy meet in a park, it's love at first sight for them AND their owners, Roger and Anita. The humans marry, and soon the spotted pooches become parents to 15 puppies.
Unfortunately, Anita's boss is the aptly-named fashion designer Cruella De Vil, an incredibly grandiose, maniacal diva. Cruella wants to make a coat of (gulp!) dalmatian fur, and although she already has 84 of the canines in captivity, she wants Anita's. When Anita refuses to sell her pups, Cruella sends her two ever-bumbling henchmen on a dog-napping mission.
Can Pongo and Perdy save all 101 dalmatians -- and send Cruella and her minions to the doghouse in the process'
- Released theatrically in the USA November 27, 1996.
- Color by Technicolor; in Panavision widescreen.
- Live action remake of the 1961 Walt Disney animated film.
- Co-produced by Great Oaks.
- Additional credits: Rebekah Rudd (associate producer) and Gary Gero (head animal trainer).
- The film used 220 dalmatians in the film, prompting the need for round-the-clock vet care, numerous trainers, an endless supply of dog food, sterilized sets and crew members, and yes, lots of pooper-scoopers. The entire shoot was monitored by the ASPCA and other humane societies.