Louis Armstrong The Complete Hot Five & Hot Seven Recordings, Volume 1
LOW STOCK: Only 1 copy left
|You Save:||$2.01 (25% Off)|
or Mix & Match 10 CDs for $49.90
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Duke Ellington ~ Blues In Orbit (Legacy) ~ $5.97 (Save 25%)
- by Miles Davis ~ Filles De Kilimanjaro ~ $5.97 (Save 25%)
- by Miles Davis ~ Miles At The Fillmore, 1970: The Bootleg Series Volume 3 (4-CD) ~ $44.74
- by Louis Armstrong ~ Satch Plays Fats ~ $5.97 (Save 25%)
- Released: February 1, 2008
- Originally Released: 2008
- Label: Sbme Special Mkts.
- 1.My Heart
- 2.Yes! I'm in the Barrel
- 3.Gut Bucket Blues
- 4.Come Back, Sweet Papa
- 5.Georgia Grind
- 6.Heebie Jeebies
- 7.Cornet Chop Suey
- 8.Oriental Strut
- 9.You're Next
- 10.Muskrat Ramble
- 11.Don't Forget to Mess Around
- 12.I'm Gonna Gitcha
- 13.Dropping Shucks
- 15.The King of the Zulus
- 16.Big Fat Ma and Skinny Pa
- 17.Lonesome Blues
- 18.Sweet Little Papa
- 19.Jazz Lips
Personnel: Louis Armstrong (vocals, cornet); Johnny Dodds (alto saxophone, clarinet); Edward "Kid" Ory (trombone); Lil Hardin Armstrong (piano); Johnny St, Cyr (banjo).
Producers: Richard M. Jones, Tommy Rockwell.
Compilation producer: Michael Brooks.
Recorded between November 1925 and November 1926. Includes liner notes by Gary Giddens.
That Louis Armstrong's Hot Five and Hot Seven recordings are among the most influential musical documents of the 20th century is already well known. That the recordings represent landmark advances in improvised music--both for ensemble and the solo instrumentalist--is a historical fact. That these recordings cast the mold for jazz's future with their wit, technical prowess, rhythmic intensity, and exuberant performances (including what is arguably the first scat solo in Armstrong's vocal on "Heebie Jeebies") is a given.
What's new here is Legacy's repackaging of the sessions. VOL. 1 of the three-volume set features the Hot Five lineup, including Kid Ory on trombone, Johnny Dodds on clarinet, Johnny St. Cyr on banjo, and Lil Hardin Armstrong (Louis's wife) on piano and vocals. Naturally, Armstrong's virtuoso cornet playing and revolutionary jazz singing are at the forefront. The advantage here is that all the Hot Fives dates are included under one cover (in the past they were split between two discs, as on Columbia's 1988 reissues, or issued as part of a set, as in the Legacy box). Fine liner notes and superb sound improve on what is already brilliant, funky, utterly unique music. Essential doesn't even come close to describing it.
Complete Hot Five & Seven Recordings, Volume 2 (CD)(3)
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 2 ratings.
Based on 2 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 12,399
- UPC: 886972419022
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)(17)
Bargain Audio CDs & Priceless Collection Product Series:
- 311 Music (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- 311 Playlist: The Very Best of 311 (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- 311 Playlist: The Very Best of 311 [Clean] (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- 311 Soundsystem (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- 311 Uplifter (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE