The Single Standard (Silent) (Full Screen)
Warner Archive Collection (series)
A woman, weary of the social dictate that men can dally but women must be faithful, decides to play the field.
|You Save:||$5.20 (29% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 2-3 business days
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 10 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: March 23, 2009
- Originally Released: 1929
- Label: Warner Archive Collection (MOD)
- Encoding: Region 0 (Worldwide)
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Greta Garbo & Johnny Mack Brown|
|Performer:||Lane Chandler, Dorothy Sebastian, Nils Asther & Johnny Mack Brown|
|Directed by||John S. Robertson|
Description by OLDIES.com:
For a number of generations, men have done as they please - and women have done as men pleased. Not so for San Francisco socialite Arden Stuart (Greta Garbo). To be fulfilled, she wants the freedom men have to take - or leave - love where they find it. So she embarks on a sensual seafaring odyssey with a boxer-turned-artist who declares, "There are many theories about love, but only one answer: equality and perfect freedom." But can any woman be free without paying a terrible price? In this daring late silent, the divine Garbo is ideally cast playing a character in many ways like herself: unconventional, independent, desired. And look for an in-joke Garbo fans will love - the name of the yacht is All Alone.
A San Francisco debutante with a free soul, breaks convention and has an affair with an artist. Silent film with music score.
A morality tale about a pleasure-seeking American girl who learns the value of marriage and family. After her dalliance with the family chauffeur drives the man to suicide (literally), rich Arden Stuart runs off with famous artist Packy Cannon. They sail off together for adventures in the South Seas but eventually Arden finds her way back home to settle down with a good man and have a baby. Her new-found domestic bliss is threatened, however, when Packy reappears and rekindles the old flame.
- MGM/UA Home Video's release features a stereo orchestral soundtrack.
- Robert Montgomery made his first screen appearance with a bit part in "The Single Standard."
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 12 ratings.
Based on 12 ratings.
Be the first Movie Lover to write an online review of this product!
Abbott and Costello Meet Captain Kidd (FS) (DVD-R)
$15.98 on SALE
Top ranking DVD-R:
- Banned Cartoons: A Historical Archive of the Shameful Racial Abuses of Hollywood's Yesteryear (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Forbidden Cinema Presents: Vintage Smokers From the 1920s and 30s (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Big Town, Volume 1 (Heart of the City) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- His First Command (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- End of the World (1934) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE