The Shining Hour (Full Screen)
Warner Archive Collection (series)
A complex love triangle that takes place between a nightclub singer, her new husband, and the husband's brother and his wife.
|You Save:||$3.60 (20% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 2-3 business days
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 16 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: March 23, 2009
- Originally Released: 1938
- Label: Warner Archives
- Encoding: Region 0 (Worldwide)
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Joan Crawford, Robert Young & Melvyn Douglas|
|Performer:||Oscar O'Shea, Harry Barris, Hattie McDaniel, Frank Albertson, Fay Bainter, Allyn Joslyn, Margaret Sullavan, Melvyn Douglas & Robert Young|
|Directed by||Joseph L. Makiewicz & Frank Borzage|
|Edited by||Frank E. Hull|
|Screenwriting by||Ogden Nash & Jane Murfin|
|Composition by||Franz Waxman|
|Cinematography by||George J. Folsey|
|Produced by||Joseph L. Mankiewicz|
Memorable Quotes and Dialog:
Description by OLDIES.com:
When Joan Crawford saw The Shining Hour on stage, she pleaded with the studio to let her spread her acting wings in the film version. She got her wish, playing a New York siren who marries a prosperous farmer (Melvyn Douglas) and moves to Wisconsin. There she is drawn to his handsome brother (Robert Young), even as she befriends the brother's selfless wife (Margaret Sullavan, Crawford's choice for the role). The passionate triangle plays out in the best tradition of classic screen melodrama: glossy and chic, but resonant with honest emotion. And the movie's heart-stopping climax with Crawford battling flames to rescue Sullavan from certain death in a house fire is, both literally and figuratively, incendiary filmmaking.
The story of four people caught in a frustrating web of passion. A brassy nightclub dancer marries a rich and debonair man only to discover that his younger brother is madly in love with her.
A street smart city girl meets a Wisconsin farmer at a dance hall and marries him, much to the consternation of his family. She returns to his farm, where she causes a commotion by then falling in love with his married brother.
- Additional cast: Oscar O'Shea (Charlie Collins) and Harry Barris (Bertie).
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 11 ratings.
Based on 11 ratings.
Be the first Movie Lover to write an online review of this product!
Abbott and Costello Meet Captain Kidd (FS) (DVD-R)
$13.34 on SALE
Top ranking DVD-R:
- Banned Cartoons: A Historical Archive of the Shameful Racial Abuses of Hollywood's Yesteryear (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Charlie Chan 3-Film Collection (The Red Dragon / The Feathered Serpent / The Sky Dragon) (2-Disc) (DVD-R) ~ $21.32 on SALE
- Hal Roach's Early Pathe Comedies (Silent) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Forbidden Cinema Presents: Vintage Smokers From the 1920s and 30s (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- The Night of Medusa (2016) / Slave Girls on the Moon (2014) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE