The Sergeant (Widescreen)
Warner Archive Collection (series)
A hard-nosed veteran army sergeant becomes a desperately lonely man when his attempts to become intimate with his company clerk, who is romancing a pretty French girl, are rejected.
|CYBER WEEK SALE:||$11.13 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$6.86 (38% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 2-3 business days
- Interior. Leather Bar. ~ $14.27
- Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion (Blu-ray + DVD) ~ $31.97
- No Way to Treat a Lady ~ $7.57
- The Swimmer (Blu-ray + DVD) ~ $23.95
- Rated: R
- Run Time: 1 hours, 48 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: March 23, 2009
- Originally Released: 1968
- Label: Warner Archive Collection (MOD)
- Encoding: Region 0 (Worldwide)
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||John Phillip Law, Ludmila Mikael, Rod Steiger & Frank Latimore|
|Directed by||John Flynn|
|Screenwriting by||Dennis Murphy|
|Composition by||Michel Magne|
|Director of Photography:||Henri Persin|
Description by OLDIES.com:
Master Sergeant Albert Callan (Rod Steiger) is one tough G.I. During World War II, he killed an enemy soldier with his bare hands. Now in postwar France, he wrests control of his army post away from an ineffective superior. But another Sergeant Callan lives behind the snarl and the stare: a man overwhelmed by his repressed attraction to a handsome young private (John Phillip Law). In this insightful exploration of homosexuality made in an era of widespread intolerance, Steiger (The Pawnbroker, In the Heat of the Night) gives a stunning performance - one both volcanic and nuanced - that illuminates Callan's tragic, tormenting battle with his true nature.
Long before "don't ask, don't tell," this melodrama made a mishmash of the issue of homosexuality in the military. Rod Steiger stars as Master Sergeant Albert Callan, a hero of WWII who is stationed at a U.S. Army base in France in 1952. A gruff, tough taskmaster, Callan turns the base from a shambles run by the alcoholic Captain Loring (Frank Latimore) into a model of efficiency and discipline -- though the lazy troops resent Callan for his efforts. Callan's been hiding his attraction to men for some time, and his eye is turned toward his attractive clerk, PFC Tom Swanson (John Phillip Law). Callan jealously refuses to grant Swanson permission to visit his French girlfriend (Ludmila Mikael) -- and even orders the younger man to stop seeing her. At first, Swanson interprets Callan's odd behavior as loneliness and forgives it, but after Callan kisses him, Swanson understands that his superior's attentions are sexual. Rebuffed, Callan tortures Swanson with unfair punishments and criticisms, earning his subordinate's animus.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 11 ratings.
Based on 11 ratings.
Be the first Movie Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 58,838
- UPC: 883316126653
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
Abbott and Costello Meet Captain Kidd (FS) (DVD-R)
$12.37 CYBER WEEK
Top ranking titles in the Drama genre:
- The Best of Tromadance Film Festival, Volume 4 (DVD) ~ 59¢ CYBER WEEK
- The Graduate (Widescreen) (Decades Collection) (Includes Bonus Audio CD) (DVD) ~ $2.39 CYBER WEEK
- They Made Me a Criminal / Lady Gangster (DVD) ~ 69¢ CYBER WEEK
- Rutger Hauer Double Feature: Beyond Justice / Escape from Sobibor (DVD) ~ 69¢ CYBER WEEK
- Sybil (2-DVD) ~ $5.25 CYBER WEEK