- Released: 1996
- Label: Nonesuch
Entertainment Weekly - 1/19/96, p.53
"...his richest performance....suggest a still-unfolding talent." - Rating: B+
Down Beat - 7/96, p.523 Stars
- Good - "...the gentle grace of his solo playing...is nicely refined; and...Hersch's...embellishments are affecting."
New York Times (Publisher) - 2/25/96, Sec.2, p.34
"A gifted pianist of the Bill Evans school, Fred Hersch composed and arranged this voluptuous collection of music by Duke Ellington's creative alter ego..."
- 1.Lotus Blossom
- 3.U.M.M.G. (Upper Manhattan Medical Group)
- 4.Pretty Girl (The Star-Crossed Lovers)
- 6.Something to Live For - (with Andy Bey)
- 7.Lament For an Orchid (Absinthe)
- 8.Isfahan (Elf)
- 9.Ballad For the Very Tired and Very Sad Lotus Eaters
- 11.Passion Flower
- 12.Lush Life
Personnel includes: Fred Hersch (piano); Eric Stern (conductor); Andy Bey (vocals); Laura Seaton, Joyce Hamman, Sandra Park (violin); Lois Martin, Ruth Siegler, Alejandro Mohave (viola); Erik Friedlander, Richard Locker, Jesse Levy (cello); Nurit Tilles (piano); Drew Gress (bass); Tom Rainey (drums).
Recprded at The Hit Factory, New York, New York in June and August 1995. Includes liner notes by Fred Hersch.
Personnel: Fred Hersch (piano); Eriko Sato , Marti Sweet, Mark Feldman , Sandra Park, Joyce Hammann, Paul Peabody, Laura Seaton, Paul Woodiel, Gene Orloff (violin); Juliet Haffner, Lois Martin (viola); Erik Friedlander, Jesse Levy, Richard Locker (cello); Tom Rainey (drums).
Audio Mixer: A.T. Michael MacDonald.
Liner Note Author: Fred Hersch.
Recording information: Hit Factory, New York, NY.
Editor: A.T. Michael MacDonald.
Arrangers: Fred Hersch; Jed Distler.