Bill Frisell Bill Frisell Quartet
Hurry! Only 1 copy left Sorry no back-orders
|You Save:||$4.40 (26% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: April 9, 1996
- Originally Released: 1996
- Label: Nonesuch
Down Beat - 8/96, p.554 Stars - Very Good - "...(Con)fusing genres and styles, it's somehow quirky and sinister at the same time....Utility infielder Kang nails ultrahigh notes....Fowlkes and Miles are both perfect accomplices, too....Here's hoping this foursome makes much more music soon..."
JazzTimes - 8/96, p.89"...The music is largely quirky by radioplay standards, often engaging and never cliche....This is all stricly through-composed stuff....this Frisell project...is more about setting moods and telling stories than exchanging hot licks....More provocative fare..."
- 1.Tales From the Far Side - (from "Tales From The Far Side")
- 2.Twenty Years
- 3.Stand up, Sit Down - (from the film "La Scuola")
- 4.Convict 13 - (from the film "Convict 13")
- 5.In Deep - (from "Tales From The Far Side")
- 6.Egg Radio - (from "Tales From The Far Side")
- 7.Bacon Bunch, The - (from "Tales From The Far Side")
- 9.Bob's Monsters - (from "Tales From The Far Side")
- 10.Gallows, The - (from the film "Convict 13")
- 12.Dead Ranch - (from "Tales From The Far Side")
- 13.Coffaro's Theme - (from the film "La Scuola")
Much of the music on QUARTET was originally composed by Frisell for various film and television scores.
Personnel: Bill Frisell (acoustic & electric guitars); Ron Miles (trumpet, piccolo trumpet); Curtis Fowlkes (trombone); Eyvind Kang (tuba, violin).
Recorded at Mobius Music, San Francisco, California.
Personnel: Bill Frisell (acoustic guitar, electric guitar); Eyvind Kang (violin, tuba); Ron Miles (piccolo, trumpet); Curtis Fowlkes (trombone).
Recording information: M”bius Music, San Francisco, CA.
This album offers music that was, for the most part, originally written for film. The compositions have been rearranged for an unusually voiced quartet that finds Frisell's guitar joined by trumpeter Ron Miles, trombonist Curtis Fowlkes and violinist/tuba player (has anyone ever doubled on those two before?) Eyvind Kang. Nearly half of the selections originate in Frisell's score for Gary Larson's animated television special, TALES FROM THE FAR SIDE. Other sources include Frisell's music for Buster Keaton's CONVICT 13 and for the Italian film LA SCUOLA.
That such diverse projects work so well together is testament both to the character of Frisell's writing and to the choices he made in assembling this arresting ensemble. There are moments of great beauty, absurd humor, lurking menace and high drama here. Just like in a movie.
In Lambeth: Visions from the Walled Garden of William Blake (CD)
$14.72 Super Savings
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)(17)
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 9 ratings.
Based on 9 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Absolute Hits - Top Hits of the 60s: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Jukebox Hits of the 70s, Volume 4 & 5 (2-CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 80s: Groovin' Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Duane Eddy Duane A Go Go Go / Duane Eddy Does Bob Dylan (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Doo Wop 45s On CD, Volume 3 ~ $1.98 on SALE