Irma Thomas Sweet Soul Queen of New Orleans: The Irma Thomas Collection
|You Save:||$1.80 (10% Off)|
Temporarily Out of Stock: We'll get more as soon as possible
- by Irma Thomas ~ Simply Grand ~ $16.18
- by William Bell ~ Soul of a Bell [Bonus Tracks] ~ $10.56
- by Various Artists ~ SSS Soul Collection - Shake What You Brought ~ $15.28
- by Irma Thomas ~ Time Is on My Side ~ $17.09
- by Various Artists ~ Treme: Music from the HBO Original Series, Season 1 ~ $16.51
- Released: February 20, 1996
- Label: Razor & Tie
- 1.Cry On
- 2.I Done Got Over It
- 3.It's Raining
- 4.Hittin' on Nothin'
- 5.Ruler of My Heart
- 6.Wish Someone Would Care
- 8.I Need Your Love So Bad
- 9.While the City Sleeps
- 10.Time Is on My Side
- 11.Anyone Who Knows What Love Is (Will Understand)
- 12.Moments to Remember
- 13.Straight from the Heart
- 14.Take a Look
- 15.It's a Man's Woman's World, Pt. 1
- 16.Long After the Night Is All Over
- 17.Times Have Changed
- 18.He's My Guy
- 19.What Are You Trying to Do
- 20.Nobody Wants to Hear Nobody's Troubles
- 21.The Hurt's All Gone
- 22.I'm Gonna Cry 'Til My Tears Run Dry
- 23.It's Starting to Get to Me Now
Personnel includes: Irma Thomas (vocals); Roy Montrell (guitar); Red Tyler, Nat Perrilliat (tenor saxophone); Allen Toussaint (piano); Chuck Badie (bass); John Boudreaux (drums).
Producers include: Allen Toussaint, Eddie Ray, Jerry Ragavoy, James Brown.
Compilation producer: David "Daddy Cool" Booth.
Includes liner notes by John Morthland.
Tracks 1-5, 15, 20-22 are monaural. Tracks 6-14, 16-19, 23 are in stereo.
Personnel: Irma Thomas (vocals).
Audio Mixer: Ron Furmanek.
Liner Note Author: John Morthland.
The title of SWEET SOUL QUEEN OF NEW ORLEANS pretty much says it all. Irma Thomas was the first lady of R&B in the Crescent City throughout the 1960s. With a voice that rang out clear and strong and was full of feeling, she cranked out a long stream of soul classics for the Minit and Imperial labels during that decade, tunes that became benchmarks for a generation of rockers as well as R&B artists. It's surely her majestic delivery of "Time Is On My Side," for instance, that moved the Rolling Stones to record the song.
Backed by Allen Toussaint and a host of other top-flight New Orleans session men, Thomas spins out accounts of romantic triumph and travail with equal aplomb. From the yearning, devotional ballad "Ruler of My Heart," with its plaintive cry for love, to the triumph over heartbreak detailed in "I Done Got Over It," Thomas brings a commitment to her material that is as uncompromising as it is entrancing, and it's all captured on this definitive collection.
The Sweetest Feeling: Van McCoy Songbook 1962-1973 (CD)
$23.42 LABOR DAY
A Woman's Viewpoint: The Essential 1970s Recordings (CD)
Out of PrintSave for Later
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 15 ratings.
Based on 15 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD...
$8.48 LABOR DAY
WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD)
$2.98 on SALE