- Released: February 9, 1999
- Label: Rhino
Muzik - 12/98, p.694 stars out of 5
- "...a gem-like mini-album....Small but perfectly formed..."
CMJ - 2/15/99, p.24
"...it's definitely worth a chunk of your time."
- 1.Mother VIP - (Vocal mix)
- 2.What You Won't Do For Love - (Radio edit)
- 3.Hyeana I
- 4.Kaiser Salsek
- 5.Judged by Colour, Heard by Sound, Seen by Blind
- 7.What You Won't Do For Love - (Left Hand Man mix)
- 8.What You Won't Do For Love - (Belief System mix)
- 9.Temper, Temper - (Optical remix)
- 10.Temper Temper - (Grooverider remix)
Personnel includes: Goldie (vocals, arranger); John "Genius" Altman (arranger); Diane Charlemagne (vocals); Noel Gallagher (guitar); Tim Philbert (bass); Trevor Moray (drums); Mark Sayfritz, Optical (programming).
Producers include: Goldie.
Engineers include: Will Donovan, Rob Playford.
Principally recorded at Angel Sound and Trident Studios, London, England.
Those who look at this album-length "EP" as the next bold step in the evolution of the ever-progressing Goldie will be disappointed, simply because that's not what it's supposed to be. As Goldie himself admits, his musical passions and creativity experienced a rebirth in the making of SATURNZ RETURN, and the cuts here offer remixes of tracks from that recording, presenting an intriguing alternate view of the album. Ethereal vocal samples mix with deftly manipulated breakbeats, orchestral stabs, exotic-sounding percussion and naked electronics to create a sonic landscape that's alternately frenetic and soothing, inviting and tumultuous. Over an hour in length, RING OF SATURN seems to stretch the traditional time barrier of EPs, but that's the way Goldie wants this recording to be percieved, not as a free-standing artistic statement, but as a bridge between his third and fourth albums. As such, it's entirely successful on its own terms.