25 All-Time Novelty Hits
by Various Artists
16 copies available
|You Save:||$1.80 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: April 23, 2002
- Originally Released: 2002
- Label: Varese Sarabande
- 1.Flying Saucer, The (Pts 1 & 2) - Buchanan & Goodman
- 2.Western Movies - The Olympics
- 4.All American Boy, The - Bill Parsons
- 5.Ballad of Davy Crockett - Bill Hayes
- 6.Seven Little Girls Sitting in the Back Seat - Paul Evans & The Curls
- 7.Nee Nee Na Na Nu Nu Nu - Dicky Doo & The Don'ts
- 8.Got a Match - The Daddy-O's
- 9.Shaving Cream - Benny Bell
- 10.Hot Rod Lincoln - Johnny Bond
- 11.Alley-Oop - Hollywood Argyles
- 12.Does Your Chewing Gum Lose Its Flavor (On the Bedpost Overnight) - Lonnie Donegan
- 13.Mr. Custer - Larry Verne
- 14.Yogi - The Ivy Three
- 15.Mummy, The - Bob McFadden & Dor
- 16.Surfin' Bird - The Trashmen
- 17.Jolly Green Giant, The - The Kingsmen
- 18.Juanita Banana - The Peels
- 19.Martian Hop - The Ran-Dells
- 20.Gitarzan - Ray Stevens
- 21.Junk Food Junkie - Larry Groce
- 22.Gimme Dat Ding - The Pipkins
- 23.Telephone Man - Meri Wilson
- 24.Mr. Jaws - Dickie Goodman
- 25.They're Coming to Take Me Away, Ha-Haaa! - Napoleon XIV
Personnel: Mike Mitchell, Lynn Easton (vocals).
Liner Note Authors: Jon Goodman; DJ Andy Anderson.
Arrangers: Charlie Fox; Ray Stevens; Jim Sullivan.
These 25 tracks were all hits between 1955 and 1977, so it might not be quite accurate to dub them "all-time novelty hits." Still, that's the time span that most people who buy such compilations are going to want to zero in on, so what's the harm in the chronological limits? It can be taken for granted that a novelty compilation is going to have a lot of frivolous material and might be too much of a good thing all at once if you're not in a certain mood. But this is a pretty good assortment of cuts, usually with a strong or at least tenuous rock base, ranging from familiar classic smashes to some items that are seldom anthologized or played on oldies radio. Among the best familiar tunes are the Olympics' Coasters-like "Western Movies," Bill Parsons' Elvis Presley satire "The All-American Boy" (actually sung by future country star Bobby Bare), Jan & Dean's "Baby Talk," Johnny Bond's "Hot Rod Lincoln," and the Trashmen's "Surfin' Bird." Among the most frivolous? Certainly Dickey Doo & the Don'ts' "Nee Nee Na Na Na Na Nu Nu" has marks to spare for qualification, as do Bob McFadden & Dor's "The Mummy" (written by Rod McKuen!), the Ran-Dells' outer-space doo wop takeoff "Martian Hop," the Pipkins' "Gimme Dat Ding," and Napoleon XIV's apocalyptic "They're Coming to Take Me Away Ha-Haaa!" As for the seldom-heard items, there's the Ivy Three's "Yogi," based on the Yogi Bear character and an actual (if quickly forgotten) Top Ten hit in 1960, the Daddy-O's' "Got a Match?," and the Peels' Chiquita Banana commercial spoof, "Juanita Banana." You also get Buchanan & Goodman's "The Flying Saucer, Pts. 1-2," a number three hit in 1956, but not often played these days due to its dated use of brief clips of early rock & roll hits in a simulated news report with mid-'50s topical references. The liner notes are learned and witty, something you can't expect as a given with these kind of reissues. ~ Richie Unterberger
25 All-Time Greatest Bubblegum Hits: The Ultimate Bubblegum...
$15.71 Super Savings
Dr. DementoDr. Demento 20th Anniversary Collection: The Greatest...
Phonetically Speaking - And Don't Forget the Piano (CD)(2)
$22.19 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 22 ratings.
Based on 22 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Omniburst / 60 Years of Music America Hates Best (CD)(5)
$8.49 on SALE
Ultimate Rock & Roll Time Capsule, Volume 3 - Disc 2 (CD)(3)
99¢ on SALE
WCBS FM101.1 - Motown, Soul & Great Rock 'N Roll: Soul (CD)(2)
$2.98 on SALE