Blu-ray Disc Features:
- Number of Discs: 2
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 24 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: October 6, 2009
- Originally Released: 1937
- Label: Walt Disney Video
- 2-Disc Set
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Additional Products:
Disc 2: Hi-Definition
Performers, Cast and Crew:
David D. Hand &
Earl Hurd &
Dorothy Anne Blank
Paul J. Smith,
Frank Churchill &
Lucille La Verne,
Harry Stockwell &
Memorable Quotes and Dialog:
"Mirror, mirror on the wall...who's the fairest of them all'"
- the evil queen to her magic mirror
Premiere - 11/01/1994
"...The first and arguably greatest..." - Recommended
Sight and Sound - 08/01/1994
"...One of the most successful films of all times....SNOW WHITE AND THE SEVEN DWARFS remains eternal..."
Los Angeles Times - 07/16/1987
"...A landmark in the history of animation....A tour de force of character animation..."
Entertainment Weekly - 10/05/2001
"...The fairest Disney 'toon of all..."
Empire - 03/01/2008
"The film that launched Walt Disney's glorious career as the king of animation still holds up over 70 years later as a true classic of its kind."
Disney's first full-length animated masterpiece features all the elements of a classic fairy tale--a beautiful heroine, an evil queen, Prince Charming...and a septet of whistling dwarfs. In hiding from her jealous and wicked stepmother, the fair Snow White takes refuge with a band of kind-hearted, hard-working dwarves: Bashful, Sneezy, Sleepy, Happy, Grumpy, Dopey and Doc. Eventually the vain queen finds Snow White and tricks her into eating a poisoned apple. Luckily, a wandering prince comes to her rescue, but can he break the evil queen's spell'
Based on the Brothers Grimm fairy tale, SNOW WHITE AND THE SEVEN DWARFS was initially thought a crazy idea for a feature film by those at Walt Disney. However, its lush production and charming characters proved otherwise. Standing the test of time since its release in 1937, the film has entranced audiences for decades, teaching them to never be vain and always whistle while they work.
Fleeing from the queen, her vain and wicked stepmother, Snow White, seeks refuge in the forest with a group of singing dwarves. Enamoured by Snow White, the dwarves adopt her as family, but even they can't protect her from the evil queen's wrath.
Disney's first feature length animated film, SNOW WHITE AND THE SEVEN DWARVES, combines song and mirth with vivid and attractive characters, creating a film alluring to both children and adults.
Disney Film |
Essential Cinema |
Family (General) |
Theatrical Release |
- Theatrical release: December 21, 1937.
- Rereleased in 1944, 1952, 1958, 1967, 1975, 1983, 1987, and 1993.
- SNOW WHITE AND THE SEVEN DWARFS was an original selection to the Library of Congress National Film Registry in 1989.
- SNOW WHITE AND THE SEVEN DWARFS was the very first feature-length animated film ever made.
- The Seven Dwarfs are Grumpy, Sleepy, Sneezy, Bashful, Dopey, Doc, and Happy. Rejected dwarf names include Wheezy, Puffy, Stuffy, Burpy, Jumpy, Baldy, Nifty, Gabby, Stubby, and Deafy.
- The film received a special Academy Award in 1938, consisting of one regular Oscar statue and seven smaller statuettes.